Question Cooler stays cold, CPU gets hot!(weird)

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello everyone.
Recently I have upgraded my rig a bit, and now I have Pure Base 600 with 4 decent fans, and new cooler Shadow Rock 2 (instead of open-broken case without any fans, and with stock amd cooler).
But I've noticed something very bad, my fx 8350 gets hot even on idle. It reaches 58C, and god only knows how much it gets hot while gaming.
My previous build, (which was the same but with worse cooling) provided me 45C at idle and 60 while gaming.
I've been double checking everything, the thermal paste, fans direction etc. and i've noticed that the cooler is stone cold.
Not only the fins, but the thicc 8mm heatpipes, all the way down to the cpu, they are stone cold as well, not even little bit warmer than fins.
I tried tighten that thing, nothing happens. Also I bended over the rig, so the cooler could use its weight and "sit" on the cpu, but nothing changed, even a bit.
Mobo is msi 970a-g43, cpu fx 8350, shadow rock 2.

Please help, I dont know what else to do :/

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Well, the thermal paste is applied, cooler is definietly touching the cpu, because a lil bit of thermal paste can be seen at the side of cpu, the cover strip is definietly taken off, and the cooler is screwed properly, it doesnt move. What else could be wrong? It just doesnt transfer the heat... I can see right now 58C and its cold :/

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Well, I'm using Aida 64, but i'm just comparing previous temps with current, and its worse now. The whole cooler is cold, including the heatpipes coming straight out of the cooler block. Stock amd cooler was at least warm... Currently Aida64 shows 52C at idle

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
As Retrolife said, try to just reseat the whole cooler again, if you have more paste. If you do this again, and follow all the steps correctly it should get you close to confirming that you do or do not have a bad cooler.

Sometimes its possible for an air bubble to get in the thermal paste and create a void (although usually the air squeezes out from the pressure when the cooler is bolted down. if this happens (air bubble), you won't get good cooling. I usually draw an "X" on my CPU with thermal paste - that reduces the chance of any air getting stuck under there.

Might just be a defective cooler though ...

DavidM012

Distinguished
The MSI 970a-g43 has no vrm heat sink and a 4+1 power phase that isn't suited to the fx8350 octa core cpu, only a quad core, or one of the 95w versions like the 8320. The difference in temps might be explained by the 2 different coolers you used supplying varying amounts of airflow over the vrm area of the board.

You could take a 120mm fan and stand it on the back of the gpu, to huff directly over the vrm area, with a second fan mounted in the rear exhaust if you have a grille or vent on the top of your chassis, if the psu is situated on the floor of the case. Various atx cases have either the psu at the top and the vent at the bottom, or the psu at the bottom and the exhaust vent at the top.

However, it's not ideal for running the 8350 and the vrms are overheating the only thing you could do immediately to effectively bring down the temperature is switch off 2 cores in the mobo bios, unfortunately 2nd hand 990fx boards are still selling at $100 or more which isn't at all economical considering how obsolete the fx has become, and that's a pretty good chunk, a quarter of the way, to a ryzen build.

Heat pipe assemblies are usually made of sintered copper. Sintered copper really dislikes being bent away from the shape that it was originally formed when manufactured. If you did bend the heat pipes, you should dismount the cooler and check the heat pipes for cracks.

If they are cracked, this would explain a cold cooler on top of a hot processor, and the entire cooler assembly would require replacement because, once cracked, they cannot be repaired.