Question Cooler suggestion - Ryzen 5 2600 / Asrock B450m pro4 / Corsair Carbide 200 case

gabrielmury

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
I've tried to overclock my Ryzen but I kept getting 85 dregrees temperatures, so I'm in the market for a cooler that is affordable but also capable of handling a overclock 3.8/3.9ghz overclock. Thing is, I don't know about the size. The website for my case mentions the maximum height: 165mm. But what about the length and width? I also have to consider that I have a micro atx motherboard and I'm afraid the cooler might end up bumbping into my RAM sticks. Do you guys have any suggestions?

https://www.corsair.com/pt/pt/Categ...e-Series™-200R/p/CC-9011023-WW#tab-tech-specs

I don't know your budget for the cooler, but for the second time today I'm recommending the Scythe Mugen 5, Rev. B. It's effective and quiet. You didn't tell me your RAM height, so you'll need to check that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

Oh, I see you posted just before me. Yes, the Noctua you listed will fit your case and is a step up from the Mugen 5, but costs much more. It does have a 6 year warranty though (including the fans which is what could possibly fail.) I think the Scythe is maybe 3 years, but that is more than most. I think you would be happy with either.

Last edited:
For the Ryzen 2600, most $30-$40 tower coolers with a 120mm fan would likely be good for overclocking, and would offer significantly better cooling performance than the bundled Wraith Stealth. Something like that Noctua, with dual fin stacks and a pair of 140mm fans, would arguably be overkill.

Also, 3.8 GHz would not even be an overclock for most common workloads, since the processor should be able to clock that high for tasks involving up to several threads, and can even hit 3.9 GHz on one core for lightly threaded tasks at stock settings. Unless one only cares about performance in heavily-multithreaded tasks that utilize all cores, 3.9 GHz should be the minimum to aim for with an overclock on that processor. And considering the 2600X is essentially the same processor, only with stock boost clocks that can hit up to 4.2 GHz on a single core and around 4.0 GHz on all cores using a moderately better stock cooler, I would say that aiming for 4.0GHz, if not a bit higher, might be worthwhile on an even better aftermarket cooler.

Just make sure you are keeping voltages in check, as too much voltage can result in high temperatures. Often "auto-overclocking" settings on motherboards will supply more voltage than is necessary for a given overclock.

gabrielmury

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
For the Ryzen 2600, most $30-$40 tower coolers with a 120mm fan would likely be good for overclocking, and would offer significantly better cooling performance than the bundled Wraith Stealth. Something like that Noctua, with dual fin stacks and a pair of 140mm fans, would arguably be overkill.

Also, 3.8 GHz would not even be an overclock for most common workloads, since the processor should be able to clock that high for tasks involving up to several threads, and can even hit 3.9 GHz on one core for lightly threaded tasks at stock settings. Unless one only cares about performance in heavily-multithreaded tasks that utilize all cores, 3.9 GHz should be the minimum to aim for with an overclock on that processor. And considering the 2600X is essentially the same processor, only with stock boost clocks that can hit up to 4.2 GHz on a single core and around 4.0 GHz on all cores using a moderately better stock cooler, I would say that aiming for 4.0GHz, if not a bit higher, might be worthwhile on an even better aftermarket cooler.

Just make sure you are keeping voltages in check, as too much voltage can result in high temperatures. Often "auto-overclocking" settings on motherboards will supply more voltage than is necessary for a given overclock.

Would these ones be acceptable for that kind of overclocking?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_487.shtml

Last edited:

gabrielmury

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Depends on your case. The Noctua and hyper212 are 160mm tall. Many cases don't have that much clearance. Before shopping for a cooler, first find out how much clearance you do have, it can severely limit choices.

This is my case: https://www.corsair.com/pt/pt/Categ...4567&Link_name=www.corsair.com#tab-tech-specs

It says here that the maximum CPU cooler height is 165mm so I guess I'm in the clear as far as that. I'm more worried about compatibility with my motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboards have a guaranteed certain amount of space around the socket, so coolers aren't an issue usually unless you have an oddball with exceptionally tall heatsinks and an oddball cooler with badly designed heatpipes. Most coolers don't even have ram clearance issues as it'll only be the first slot covered, with ram in 2&4. Even new designs such as the NH-D15S have offsets for gpu heatplate clearance that older designs like the original NH-D15 don't have, simply because those backplates really didn't exist then.

With Intel, any cooler designed for lga1156 - lga1151 will fit, they are all the same pinout. AMD has only 1 real differential, AM4. Any prior mobo has the same and bracket.

So no worries on compatability, a mobo is a mobo, all the same. Ram fitment is the only real consideration, and even there, there is options.

Reactions: gabrielmury

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The deepcool is marginally better, the hyper212 really hasn't changed anything except looks in years. However, CM has redone the mount, so it's much easier, better, and honestly doesn't look too bad now. So whichever suits your build better, if that doesn't matter then the deepcool is a hair stronger.

Reactions: gabrielmury

gabrielmury

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
The deepcool is marginally better, the hyper212 really hasn't changed anything except looks in years. However, CM has redone the mount, so it's much easier, better, and honestly doesn't look too bad now. So whichever suits your build better, if that doesn't matter then the deepcool is a hair stronger.

Ok, so I opted for the Deepcool. As soon as it arrives I'll post some results.

Thank you very much for your help.