• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Cooler Too Large?

Jun 27, 2019
I am currently running a hyper 212 black edition as my cpu cooler. I want something larger so I can overclock my 3600, I have a Corsair spec delta that says it can fit 160mm cooler and my current cooler is 159mm. The cooler I'm considering though is the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 which is 163mm and I notice there a slight bit of room between the glass and top of the cooler. Wondering if the extra 4mm will stop this cooler.

I wouldn't bother. A Ryzen 3600 won't overclock much as it boosts to nearly its full potential out of the box, and you are not likely to see a perceptible difference in performance from overclocking.

It's also a relatively efficient processor, being built on 7nm, so you almost certainly don't need a high-end cooler for it, as it doesn't put out all that much heat. Your Hyper 212 Black should be plenty to cool it quietly. i would save that $90 for another component or future upgrade that might actually have some notable impact on performance.

Jun 27, 2019
I wouldn't bother. A Ryzen 3600 won't overclock much as it boosts to nearly its full potential out of the box, and you are not likely to see a perceptible difference in performance from overclocking.

It's also a relatively efficient processor, being built on 7nm, so you almost certainly don't need a high-end cooler for it, as it doesn't put out all that much heat. Your Hyper 212 Black should be plenty to cool it quietly. i would save that $90 for another component or future upgrade that might actually have some notable impact on performance.
Thank you so much for your help, without you I probably would've blown $90 on that thing. I'll keep that hyper 212 until I get a new cpu that's more powerful.

ASK THE COMMUNITY