Question Cooler touching CPU clamp

Jun 12, 2020
Hello. Sorry if things not the right place.

Please help. I just built a system with GB Z490 Gaming X - 10600k and Be Quiet pure rock 2

When I installed the cooler I noticed that it was touching the top left corner of the CPU steel clamp/latch thingy closest the IO shield on the side of the hinge. The opposite corner was higher and the other 2 were OK. Only just that one corner seemed to keep cooler from touching CPU. I mean I could see that the cooler is resting on the clamp instead of the CPU IHS.

It's my first time installing a heat-pipe cooler but I've seen many videos and followed the instructions manual.

I was scared when I saw if but after I lifted the cooler to check paste coverage, it seemed to be smeared enough to indicate good contact.

However after booting and copying some files (no overclock CPU using 15-20 watts) it got to 60 degrees (with fans at quiet mode) BUT the heatsink was cold 40degrees Max, even at the base.

Does this mean that the CPU clamp is bent?
Thank you

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It's best if you can shoot us a picture of the area that you're concerned about, of the cooler touching the metal part(in your words, not mine). Use Imgur to host your image and then parse the link to this thread.

When mounting any cooler that has you to work with 4 posts, always work in a criss-cross pattern to apply even pressure when mounting.

Reactions: Alex Storm

TRENDING THREADS