[SOLVED] Cooler upgrade for i7 10700kf

PGamer

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017
I've been playing CoD Cold War last few days and I noticed that I get sudden FPS drops/stuttering. So I opened hwinfo while playing and sometimes I get temps higher than 90°C on CPU. GPU stays under 75.
I think I should replace my cooler Cryorig H7 with something better. Am I right?

I was looking at this 95€ cooler: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378
Is it compatible with Patriot Viper Steel Kit 2x8GB DDR4 RAMs? Can I get some better cooling for the same money (120€ budget for a cooler)?

My PC:
CPU: i7-10700KF
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
RAM: DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 Patriot Viper Steel Kit
GPU: ASUS RTX 3070 dual oc
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z490-P
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 (1x140mm fan at the back, 1x140mm fan at the front)
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 80plus Gold

Thanks.

Solution
I would get a AIO.
Something like this.
Takes up less space and will be able to cool your i7 even when overclocked.
What you've suggested is more or less the same class of cooling - it might take a little longer to warm up, and the hybrid is noisier.

@PGamer
The problem here is that Cold War is one of those AVX titles that pushes power consumption and thermals higher than what may be seen in other games.
The following are alternate means of trying to lower thermals:
If MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is enabled in bios, disable it.
Load Line Calibration set to Level 1.
Windows power plan set to Balanced.
Intel Speed SHIFT enabled, Speed step disabled.
Lastly, consider running a negative AVX offset. This one doesn't...

PGamer

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017
Ok, I searched for AIOs in my country and these two are on top of my budget: BE QUIET! SILENT LOOP 2 (BW010) 240mm and BE QUIET! PURE LOOP (BW007) 280mm
I'll probably go for 280mm one. I have one more question. Which way should fans blow air? Into case or out of case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would get a AIO.
Something like this.
Takes up less space and will be able to cool your i7 even when overclocked.
What you've suggested is more or less the same class of cooling - it might take a little longer to warm up, and the hybrid is noisier.

@PGamer
The problem here is that Cold War is one of those AVX titles that pushes power consumption and thermals higher than what may be seen in other games.
The following are alternate means of trying to lower thermals:
If MCE(Multi Core Enhancement) is enabled in bios, disable it.
Load Line Calibration set to Level 1.
Windows power plan set to Balanced.
Intel Speed SHIFT enabled, Speed step disabled.
Lastly, consider running a negative AVX offset. This one doesn't sit well with some users - they'd prefer to see the SSE clocks the same as AVX, but the latter is faster than the former at the same clock speed anyway...

If you choose not to bother with any of this, then I'd suggest a 280mm, NH-D15, or Cryorig R1 Ultimate. The Dark Rock Pro 4 isn't as mighty as some of the other dual towers out there - probably due to the fans; the older Dark Rock Pro 3 is more capable.
You could also probably do with one more fan in the front of the chassis.

Last edited:
Solution

PGamer

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017
@Phaaze88 I just checked and none of these air coolers won't fit into my computer, because of low RAM clearance, including dark rock pro 4. My RAM's height is 44.4mm according to manufacturer's specifications. So I would need a cooler at least 45 or 46mm from motherboard. How much difference is actualy between "BE QUIET! PURE LOOP (BW007) 280mm" AIO and that noctua or cryorig you mentioned?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Phaaze88 I just checked and none of these air coolers won't fit into my computer, because of low RAM clearance, including dark rock pro 4. My RAM's height is 44.4mm according to manufacturer's specifications. So I would need a cooler at least 45 or 46mm from motherboard. How much difference is actualy between "BE QUIET! PURE LOOP (BW007) 280mm" AIO and that noctua or cryorig you mentioned?
Really?
The Pure Base 500 has 190mm of air cooler clearance, and be quiet! even has an image of the Dark Rock Pro 4's front fan sitting over G. Skill's Trident Z ram, which is 44mm tall.
The NH-D15 can have it's front fan raised 13mm and still fit.[165 + 13 = 178mm]
The R1 Universal - I'm sorry for mentioning R1 Ultimate, I meant the other one - avoids this entirely by using a thinner fan.

How much difference is actualy between "BE QUIET! PURE LOOP (BW007) 280mm" AIO and that noctua or cryorig you mentioned?
Different where?
-The air coolers are more affordable.
-The hybrid cooler should see lower idle thermals, but this really shouldn't be something to get hung up over.[Some users do.]
-Under various loads? Well that one's going to depend on your ears. The closer you can comfortably run your fans towards 100% speed, is going to be the one that wins out in the end.
The fans on most hybrids can get fairly audible if you don't reign it in with a custom fan curve.
^With that in mind, the hybrid should see similar thermals(under load) to the air coolers, but it just takes longer to get there because there's more liquid in them than air coolers.

The first thing I would do would be to mount a second 140mm intake fan in front.
You need to have a decent supply of fresh air to let your cpu cooler do it's job.
The graphics card also needs fresh air.
An often forgotten thing is the need for getting airflow over the motherboard to the vrm heat sinks.
If hwinfo ever shows a max of 100c. you have throttled.
More likely heat on the vrm is holding you back.
If the fan addition does not do the job, then look for a cooler upgrade.
The DRP4 is an excellent twin tower cooler that is about as good as a 240 aio.
But, if you will have ram clearance issues, look for an equally good Noctua NH-D15s which will clear tall ram.
It also comes in black and should be priced comparably.

Your case is good for air cooling, but I would be hesitant about an aio.
They do not help motherboard cooling for one.
They do not last forever either.

PGamer

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017
Tried stress testing my cpu and all of cores hit 100°C in less than 5seconds. I'm going to buy the NH-D15 and raise front fan.

I disabled turbo boost until I get new cooler. Temps stop at 75°C now.

Tried stress testing my cpu and all of cores hit 100°C in less than 5seconds. I'm going to buy the NH-D15 and raise front fan.

I disabled turbo boost until I get new cooler. Temps stop at 75°C now.
If you need ram clearance, do not buy the NH-D15,
Instead, buy the NH-D15s which is designed to clear tall ram.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s/p/N82E16835608072?Item=9SIAADY44C6096
The cooling performance is similar as is the price.
There is a black version for $10 more.