[SOLVED] Cooler upgrade

Mar 17, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of buying the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim to upgrade from my Wraith Stealth stock AMD cooler. I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU.
I'm not interested in overclocking I just want to get the idle and load temps down a bit. Right now my idle temp is at about 45-50 C and when stress testing with Prime95 it goes up in to the 90's. So my question is: Will I see a difference in the temperature if I buy the Pure Rock Slim?

Thanks!

Solution
That's a pretty significant drop.

Do you think it could just be enough to get better case fans or is it better to get a new CPU cooler?
More like, you need to ADD case fans first, before opting for a new cpu cooler.
The point of running with the case panels off was to test case airflow. 10C is pretty big, and a telling sign that airflow is weak, but you only have 2 fans in there...
Opting for a new cooler first may yield cooler temps, but it still won't be optimal because the airflow through the case is still low.

Add 3 fans:
-top exhaust
-front intake: top slot
-front intake: bottom slot, but it looks like you have to remove the drive cage for that one. If you need the drive cage, skip adding a fan here.
Mar 17, 2020
Run those same tests with the front and side panels removed.
What happens to the idle and load temps then?
Ok so now it's 39C on idle and topped at 81C when running prime 95. Do you think it could just be enough to get better case fans or is it better to get a new CPU cooler?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Do you think it could just be enough to get better case fans or is it better to get a new CPU cooler?
The point of running with the case panels off was to test case airflow. 10C is pretty big, and a telling sign that airflow is weak, but you only have 2 fans in there...
Opting for a new cooler first may yield cooler temps, but it still won't be optimal because the airflow through the case is still low.

Add 3 fans:
-top exhaust
-front intake: bottom slot, but it looks like you have to remove the drive cage for that one. If you need the drive cage, skip adding a fan here.

Reactions: Mouxus
Solution
Mar 17, 2020

Add 3 fans:
-top exhaust
Okay, thank you very much for the tip, I'll add a couple of fans and see if that helps :)