Coolermaster 120mm silent blue LED fan not silent

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello all !
This is my first post into this gr8 forum. Hope to get great replies from u all.

Recently I ve built a new AMD System to replace my age old P-3 based system. This system is going to be my secondary system. My primary is a P-4 based machine which I will soon be replacing with a core i7 based rig.

The config for current AMD rig is as follows:

AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black edition (all four cores unlocked)
Asus M4A785TD-EVO motherboard
Gskill 2x2GB RAM (Rip-jaw series)
WD5001AALS WD Black Edition 500gb sata II HDD
Coolermaster Elite 335 series cabinet with Corsair 550VX 550watt PSU
HP 1260 DVD Burner.

The cabinet was without any front fan so I decided to buy The coolermaster 120mm Silent blue LED fan with 90 CFM and 2000rpm (model-R4-L2R-20CK-GP).
I thought as the name suggests the fan would be very silent as the 120 mm fan which came preinstalled with the cabinet in the rear side is very silent. But its quite loud. It has only got the motherboard fan connector socket. When I first ran it holding in my hand it was pretty silent, but after fixing it in the front of the cabinet its quite loud.
I dunno if its normal or not, any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.
It sounds almost like my old P4 processor heatsink fan when the processor is running at 60-62 degrees.

Also one more thing, the stock cooler which came with my AMD Processor seems pretty small, smaller than what comes with phenom II x4 955. SO my question is If I am running the processor with all four cores unlocked, do I need a better cooler or the stock one will do ( I m not going to overclock).

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
It could be vibration, just buy some sticky foam tape and stick that on the underside of the fan, the centre and the corners should do it.

Is the fan running at full speed, go into the bios and check, there will be some settings like cool n quiet on/off which changes fan setting to variable rpm

Or that fan may be loud or vibrate too much, look at these,

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

the nexus and the scythe fans are very good and quiet.

Solution

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Dear LePhuronn, thanks for ur reply, can u also recommend a gud cost effective cooler as well.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
@ankydu
i'd strongly recomend the akasa nero ak0967

it is Cheap, silent and VERY effective. I currently run the ak-967 and the fan never spins above 500 rmp (cant hear it even if i stick my ear on in) and keeps my E5300 @3.8ghz at 30C idle and 50c under 100% load.

shovenose

Distinguished

yes but we are looking for a QUAD CORE heatsink

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks to all the forums members for providing their gr8 suggestions. I finally figured out where the noise was coming from, and bad news is I will have to live with it. Actually the fan itelf is very silent even at 1975 rpm. But the sound its making is basically because of the air being pulled from the cabinet front (grill). I took the fan out and holding it in my hand started the system, it was silent, then i took the fan (while running) to its installation location and without even touching the walls of the cabinet the sound started coming. It shows that the fans suction is very powerful.
I guess it will be good for the internal components but not for my ears.

Any suggestions to reduce the noise further are still welcome :hello:

ALSO I m still looking for a good cpu cooler suggestion. :)

shovenose

Distinguished
well you could just make a huge hole there (i think your supposed to do it with a dremel) and then just put one of those fan grills that have mimimal resistance:
grill.jpg