[SOLVED] coolermaster 350 watt psu with zotac gtx 1060 3gb?

Healer21

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
CM 350 watt psu with zotac gtx 1060 3gb which has tdp of 120 watt.The psu has 6 pin pci e. And processor is i3 4150 so will it be ok to work as only the gpu has need of power other components are not that power hungry

Solution
What exact Cooler Master model is it?
It is not technically enough wattage really, at least not against recommendations.
But problem there is not wattage, but quality. Quantity is useless without Quality.

A good quality 350W I'd potentially say fine, a mediocre or poor quality 350W - not a chance.
But generally most <400W PSUs are not made for discrete GPUs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It is not technically enough wattage really, at least not against recommendations.
But problem there is not wattage, but quality. Quantity is useless without Quality.

A good quality 350W I'd potentially say fine, a mediocre or poor quality 350W - not a chance.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution

Healer21

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019

My psu is similiar to this one https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/elite-series/elite-power-350w/ but this one doesnt have pci e

Healer21

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Unfortunately, if it is the Elite series, then I would bin it and get a good quality PSU as a replacement. At least a Corsair CX for example of at least 450W for your requirements. The Elite series are some of Cooler Masters worst offerings.

See point 1 here for what poor quality PSUs can do: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/top-not-as-obvious-mistakes-made-when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178
Unfortunately, if it is the Elite series, then I would bin it and get a good quality PSU as a replacement. At least a Corsair CX for example of at least 450W for your requirements. The Elite series are some of Cooler Masters worst offerings.

See point 1 here for what poor quality PSUs can do: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

i am really broken as i have already bought the gpu still havent plugged it in.i checked psu calculator its showing i need psu minimum 316 watt.https://www.enermax.outervision.com/PSUEngine i checked on this site.If i use it will my pc go bad.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wattage is irrelevant if quality isn't there. It's a common misconception that all you need is wattage for a system unfortunately.

It's not a case of it will definitely go bad or not go bad, it's a case that poor quality PSUs have a notorious tendency to go pop, and when they go pop, they can take out other components with them. So it's a risk that you take. Not saying it always happens, but it happens quite a lot more than people realise.

I would say it would be fine for now, but i would upgrade to a good quality unit when you can that will protect your system should something fail.

How long have you had the PSU?

Healer21

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Wattage is irrelevant if quality isn't there. It's a common misconception that all you need is wattage for a system unfortunately.

It's not a case of it will definitely go bad or not go bad, it's a case that poor quality PSUs have a notorious tendency to go pop, and when they go pop, they can take out other components with them. So it's a risk that you take. Not saying it always happens, but it happens quite a lot more than people realise.

I would say it would be fine for now, but i would upgrade to a good quality unit when you can that will protect your system should something fail.

How long have you had the PSU?

two years.
i saw a youtube video showing total system power usage of 1060 pc at load is 184 watts.i hope i can use it.i want to use it for six months then only will i be able to buy new psu.will it die in six months

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
two years.
i saw a youtube video showing total system power usage of 1060 pc at load is 184 watts.i hope i can use it.i want to use it for six months then only will i be able to buy new psu.will it die in six months
No way of telling. It might be perfectly fine, it might not be.

Also as I said, will it work? Probably.
Is it a good/safe idea? Probably not.

Just upgrade when you can IMO.

Reactions: King_V

Healer21

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
No way of telling. It might be perfectly fine, it might not be.

Also as I said, will it work? Probably.
Is it a good/safe idea? Probably not.

Just upgrade when you can IMO.
thank you.ill upgrade as soon as i can.till then ill use it.When should i stop sing the psu will the system show any signs other than smoke

TRENDING THREADS