Coolermaster 600 extreme power plus enough?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they use subpar pieces on the inside. capacitors, insufficient wiring, cheap control boards..... basically this is the yugo of psu's. your asking why a yugo is worse than a Mercedes when quality is the answer. do you need to see a part for part comparison for why the Mercedes is better and the yugo junk?

for almost the same prices, top of the line psu's are available and recommended. the power supply is the heart of the system. why risk your nice shiny new pc to a cheap, back alley heart?

current prices right now has this one as the best buy from a top notch company (at least prices i could find)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 11:45 EST-0500

did you read there conclusion on this unit in the link above ?? how is that good?? theres no newer review to show things have changed on it that I can find ??

as I said you do what you feel is best .. I got to treat my psu the same as the rest of my build . I don't trust something I see like that to power my 200$ board $300 chip and card .. you got to be kidding , right ??

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

lol, take a deep breath.... breathe..... one more time..... ok though you are absolutely right, your not exactly expressing it to get the most favorable reaction to it. all you can do is explain it the best you can, post a link or two and let it be. not everyone will do what's best for them and it's not your fault. if they chose to go cheep, we will still be here to give them a new link to a good psu when it fails and they come in asking again for help.

also keep in mind the op is not the one saying the review is wrong. don't lose sight of who your answering. the op actually asked for an explanation to why it is bad which is a valid question. i try to ignore the trolls and simply talk to the op.

though i am guilty of feeding the trolls on occasion (too much lately), i try to remember the old saying, "arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded!!"

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

let me take an opportunity to educate you a little bit. despite what i just said this is also for the op as to why that psu is not a good one. watts is really not the important thing here. what is important is the amps on the 12v rail. the gpu and most of the pc runs through this. low amps here means less power to the pc. the psu in question has 2 18 amp 12 v rails. to put this in perspective i have a 375 watt psu with the same dual 18 amp 12 v rails. does this mean my 375 watt psu is mislabeled and actually 600 watts? ummm no.

a quality 600 watt psu will have MUCH more amps on it's 12v rail giving a true 600 watts to the pc. i actually saw a thread a couple days ago from a guy with a 650 watt psu with 18 amps TOTAL on 3 12 v rails. this is a joke and an insult to psu's everywhere.

the psu i posted has 53 amps available on it's 12v rail and it's equivalent 600 watts would still be over 45 amps.

so what does amps have to do with watts? the formula is this: amps = watts / volts. so to turn the amps i am talking about to watts multiple the amps by 12 (for the 12 v rail)

your 600 watt psu offers up 432 wtts to the pc and the gpu your asking about gets system usage to around 400 watts depending on the specific card and such. so you are saying pulling almost all of the available wattage from the psu is fine and acceptable? this is just not the case. remember you also don't get the full listed wattage due to leakage and such (hence the 80+ ratings which means it is rated to provide 80%+ of it's stated watts) so your 432 watts is now only around 345 watts for a card that pulls more than that in a system.

i am not trying to jump down your throat or anything but clearly you don't fully understand the watt/v/amp concept and we do. i hope i have taught you something new today that you can apply to future advice you give. and to the op i hope i have answered your question as to why that specific psu is not good for your purposes and why the one i recommended is good for you. total watts is not actually the important thing in a psu, build quality and amps available is what is important.

I look at quality in the build platform, brand track record , so on .. I bought cheap per say, and wish I just spent on quality in the end .. there sites that do reviews like the one above and johnny guru that do tare down reviews so you can see the guts of a unit .. all you casn do is read up on them and decide on whats best for you..

hard to see a unit claiming its a 600w but the reviewer says he just see,s it doing at best as a 450w ?? then hook up power hungry AMD card to it pluss the rest of the stuff and run it at full load ???

not me

manupa14

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks everyone, actually the system is made up and I just posted this to show someone (who wouldnt believe me) that this PSU is crap, I got a little scared with the first answer but i know i can always trust toms hardware