Question Coolermaster H500 fan configuration

Sep 16, 2019
Hi,
I recently built a PC with the coolermaster H500. Running a 2080 and a 9900k isn’t fun though, since the 9900k isn’t able to cool off and residual heat builds up at the top and on the cpu. Definitely going to get a top fan to blow this air out, but is there a way to get the fan on the side near the CPU to blow inward? If so, is it recommended? If not, would adding a second output top fan change that because it applies the negative force necessary to drive heat from the GPU upward, where it is removed and cooled if nearby the CPU... I’m trying to avoid only feeding my CPU warm air so I was thinking this would be a perfect way to cool it down even in high GPU load. I know I’ve said a lot so lmk if you have any questions on the way I am picturing this. I can sketch a diagram if that would help, but it may or may not be easy enough to understand without it.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Side intake fan, just above CPU helps only if you have top-down CPU cooler (similar to Intel/AMD stock CPU cooler), which i believe you don't have. Making me to ask, what are you using to cool your CPU?

Also, since your case has TG side panel, you can't mount side intake fan on it. Drill the TG side panel (to make grille for a fan) and watch it shatter. Replacing the side panel with metal one with side fan mount can make it happen but since there are no solid side panels for H500, you'd need to jerry-rig one, which won't look good on a case afterwards.

Here, i'd mount 2x 140mm fans at the top as exhausts to improve the cooling. While it may look like that you'd get negative pressure due to it (which is actually better at cooling than positive pressure), you can always play around with fan RPMs to gain neutral or positive pressure. Idea is to set your intake fans running at higher RPM than exhaust fans to get neutral or even positive pressure (if the RPM diff is big).

Sep 16, 2019
Ok I agree with the exhaust. As far as having one more intake I was thinking about having the fan that comes with the computer on the back panel set to intake if possible (not on the tempered glass). Would you recommend it? I haven’t looked into whether or not it’s possible but I think worst comes to worst I can manually change the hardware (not my current concern). Otherwise I will just go with 2 outputs

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, you can flip the rear fan around but that would ruin the conventional airflow path inside PC which is: cold air in from front/bottom and hot air out from rear/top. Making the airflow diagonal, ending with CPU. Also, due to the natural convection, hot air rises and back end of the PC (where rear fan is), is usually more cluttered (cables, closer to wall etc) than front of the PC, making rear fan good exhaust fan but poor intake fan.

Here's also a nice simple video about airflow:
(I have the very same case in use as seen in that video but mine is black in color.)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 16, 2019
Yes I agree with you completely. I was thinking about case fans and I completely forgot about the CPU cooling fan, which would actually cancel out the back fan if I set it to intake, so thanks for the reminder (that would've been dangerous)! This orientation works much better, and I think getting 1 top fan should at the rear end is the way to go because a front fan would steal a lot of cold air coming from the front. Thanks for the help!