Coolermaster HAF 932: Replace stock fans or no?

syrianrue

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I just ordered the parts for a new machine, and was wondering if it would be wise to replace all the fans this time around. In the past, i've just used the stock fans that came with it, but this new build is a lot powerful than the one i had in the past.

4770k i7 Intel Processor
motherboard z87-A
780 gtx video card
650 W 80 plus Gold PSU
ssd 250 gb
3-4 hdd
cpu cooler: noctua nh-d14
16 gigs of ram

for animation, 3d rendering

If so, what fans do you guys recommend? and which to replace?

i know the side panel 230 mm big circular fan can be replaced with four 120 mm fans
the top i hear can be replaced with three 120 mm?
front bottom(infrtont of HDDs)one 120 mm? instead of the 230 circular stock fan?

these are the main ones of course, but should i also replace the exhaust fan in the back? and maybe add a 120 mm at the bottom of the fan too for air in--take (directly behind the psu at the mid-bottom area of the case to in-take cool air up into the case?

i dont plan on getting a fan controller 'cuz i'd like to save some money, so if i should replace the stock fans, what fans would you guys recommend? fans with how much dB (noise level) how much airflow.... and lastly, how much voltage or watts will all these fans add to the system ? my system only has 650 W power supply

oczdude8

Distinguished
I think the stock fans are more then enough. I have a haf932 as well, and I find that the side and top 230mm fans are great at cooling my SLI setup and exhausting hot air.

if you want to replace the side panel with 4 fans, assuming you get a decent fan, that's 4x$15 right there. and you will need a fan controller, since your mobo doesn't have 6+ fan headers.

Its not worth the added cost and noise and extra dust accumulation.

syrianrue

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
because this gigabyte gtx 780 gpu is really really big (and long) wouldnt' this screw up my airflow in the case? i can imagine it looking like this picture: (not mine, found this pic online)
http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_larges/193196/5/hi-tech-computer-pc-for-gamer-revenge.jpg

but doesn't this essentially cut the case in half ( top and bottom section) so how will the air from the bottom front get pushed in and then upward and out? since this big gpu seems to cut the top and bottom portion of the case in half T_T

also, does anyone know which direction the gtx 780 gigabyte fans blows? are they in-take or exhaust? if they are exhaust and push the air down, that could mess up the airflow as well too no?

syrianrue

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
but because this case has really bad dust problem... so i will need to put air-filter for the side panel, as well as the front panel... and both of these areas are rather large, so i'm pretty much forced to using the Panty Hose method... i tried blowing air with my mouth with and without the pantyhose, and there seems to be a huge difference in terms of airflow/ventilation... T_T

that's kind of the reason why i was considering getting new fans. =/

oczdude8

Distinguished
The stock 780 sucks air in (inside the case), and blows hot air out the back. The side fan blows air both under, and over the card, cooling both sides. The HAF 932 is designed for big cards, so it should not be a problem.

This case does have dust issues, and using more fans will make it ALOT worse. Forget pantyhose's, just clean inside your pc with some compressed air every 6 months.

I think the stock configuration is good. I have a cpu that puts out about 150W of heat and 2 gpus in SLI and they are nice and cool. I don't think your 84W cpu and 1 gpu should be a problem.

That being said, since money is a big factor for your, it will cost you about $90 (15 each) + taxes to add 4 side fans and 2 top fans. You also need a fan controller (~$30 for a cheap, ugly one), so that's about $120. I can tell you now this money you will spend will only make your pc louder, dustier, and not much cooler.