Question CoolerMaster Hyper 212 BE & 1700 compatibility

Cresfy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
I kinda got lost on the whole 1700 compatibility topic.
I'm about to buy a new computer with Intel 12th gen and an Asus board. I intend to also purchase a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 BE to go along with it.

I understand that 12th gen sockets require certain "adapters" or mounting kits. I also understand Asus Z690 boards should supposedly also support "1200 coolers".
My question is, does this mean I actually don't need the mounting kit if I intend to go with an Asus board? I understand the new CPUs also have a lower Z-height, does that mean I would still need the kit or otherwise I could install the fan but it won't be as effective in its cooling?

Also, are there "1700-dedicated" fans? Will they do better than ones needing a mounting kit or so?

Reactions: Sakib Bin Rashid

logainofhades

Titan
If you go with an Asus board, just verify it has the mounting holes for both. You will be able to tell by looking at pictures of said board. The socket size isn't an issue, for these coolers. It is just Intel decided to change their mounting of said coolers. The coolers are going to work the same, regardless of bracket used.

I was going to buy MSI Pro Z690-A and an i5-12600k, that was until I could not find any CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO V2 or black edition with the LGA1700 adapter brackets in stock in the UK either from Novatech or Scan. Online support confirmed that they did not have any. So, I am holding off my upgrade for now whilst the market stocks get updated.
I dont really understand if the Z height is significant to compatibility or its just the LGA 1700 hole placements.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I have an ASUS Z690-E mobo and a pre-1700 CM Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB and I got it mounted OK on my mobo. The plastic black back bracket ( mine has the Ys at the end of the arms) will work with the board but it gets squished over the metal bracket on the back and the Intel arms have to bend quite a bit to lay flat. Kludgy but it works. Use the INNER holes of the ASUS mobo and the two metal bent arm brackets fit the lugs fine and the cooler sits nicely on the CPU. The cooling pipes of the 212 are right up against the VRM plastic shroud so it barely fits in the normal "blow towards the back" configuration which is a real problem for the Noc coolers I hear. I will fire it up tomorrow once my memory comes in and let you know if it can keep my i7-12700K CPU cool enough to use air on it. If I don't follow up, it means that it works.

12th gen processors are a bit thinner.
If the mounting kit does not account for that, the pressure on the cpu die will be a bit off.
Yes, you can make it work.

This might explain the issue:

The adjustment is relatively simple, most cooler makers will include LGA1700 mounting along with the usual older mounts.
Some will charge, some will be gratis.

What is the make/model of your cpu, motherboard and case?
They all need to be appropriate.

Noctua maintains detailed compatibility charts.
Here is one that details the suitability for a given cpu:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus

Here is one which details any issues mounting a particular cooler on a particular asus motherboard:
https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/ASUS/LGA 1700

With an air cooler, there may be issues with tall ram. Low profile like corsair lpx always works.
RGB will usually cause issues.

Lastly, the case needs sufficient height to mount. 160mm is typical.

TRENDING THREADS