[SOLVED] CoolerMaster ML360R High Idle Temps

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I recently put together my new PC, and decided to use a Coolermaster ML360R AIO as the cooling solution for my 3700X (a bit overkill i know). After spending some time adjusting my bios settings, like fan speeds and using PBO, i realized that my CPU idle temp is relativly high. While only having things like Firefox, discord and steam open my CPU was sitting around 52-43 degrees celsius, but while gaming that barely rose to anything over 60. Any tips on how to fix this? (i have removed the plastic sticker underneath the AIO before installing and i used the normal amount of thermal paste).

Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CoolerMaster ML360R AIO
ASUS ROG STRIX X570 GAMING-F
TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB 3600MHz CL16
GeForce 1060 6GB Founders Edition
7 Total case fans (three in front with radiator, three on top for exhaust, 1 in back for exhaust)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1 TB
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1 TB

Solution
i think its connected to the CPU_Fan header? If i recall correctly the connector had too many pins to connect to the AIO pump.
Pump power connector has only 3 pins and should go AiO_Pump on the MB and run full speed all the time. That's why you have high idle temps, not enough liquid flow when it's running too slow. Radiator fans to CPU_Fan and CPU-aux if there is one.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing to fix. It is normal.
Ryzen 3000 is very... 'bursty' in behavior; no cooler can react to all those spikes fast enough.
What matters is your load temps. With nothing over 60C, I don't see a problem.

I've noticed between Ryzen 3000 and Intel 8th/9th gen:
-Ryzen 3000 will have higher idle, but lower load temps
-Intel will have lower idle, but higher load temps

I recently put together my new PC, and decided to use a Coolermaster ML360R AIO as the cooling solution for my 3700X (a bit overkill i know). After spending some time adjusting my bios settings, like fan speeds and using PBO, i realized that my CPU idle temp is relativly high. While only having things like Firefox, discord and steam open my CPU was sitting around 52-43 degrees celsius, but while gaming that barely rose to anything over 60. Any tips on how to fix this? (i have removed the plastic sticker underneath the AIO before installing and i used the normal amount of thermal paste).

Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CoolerMaster ML360R AIO
ASUS ROG STRIX X570 GAMING-F
TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB 3600MHz CL16
GeForce 1060 6GB Founders Edition
7 Total case fans (three in front with radiator, three on top for exhaust, 1 in back for exhaust)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1 TB
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1 TB
What's your pump connected to ? With those coolers pump should run full speed all the time.

i think its connected to the CPU_Fan header? If i recall correctly the connector had too many pins to connect to the AIO pump.
Pump power connector has only 3 pins and should go AiO_Pump on the MB and run full speed all the time. That's why you have high idle temps, not enough liquid flow when it's running too slow. Radiator fans to CPU_Fan and CPU-aux if there is one.

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... Coolermaster ML360R AIO ... 3700X ... Firefox, discord and steam open my CPU was sitting around 52-43 degrees celsius ...
Is "idle" really idle? "Firefox, discord and steam open" is definitely not "idle".

The definition of "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager.

This means your rig should be undisturbed with "hands off". No programs or screensaver running, and off line. No Dropbox or Folding or SETI or unnecessary Processes or Services or "tray-trash" running in the background, default power saving features in BIOS enabled, and Windows Power Options set for "Balanced" or "Power saver" but not High performance.

Here's what "idle" should look like:

9i9v2dm.jpg

Keep in mind that Core temperatures are driven by power consumption (watts) which is driven by software workloads. Lower CPU usage yields lower power consumption, and thus lower Core temperatures. Unless we're clear and very specific concerning what defines the term "idle", it's difficult to sort out whether settings, configurations, environment, air / liquid flow, hardware or software variables are causing high idle temperatures.

By simultaneously observing "CPU Utilization" in Windows Task Manager as well as "power consumption" in a utility such as Hardware Info, you should be able to determine what your idle state actually is.

CT :sol:

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I have all my chassi fans (including my radiator fans) hooked up to a fan controller. Should I plug the controller into the cpu fan socket still?

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Is "idle" really idle? "Firefox, discord and steam open" is definitely not "idle".

The definition of "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager.

This means your rig should be undisturbed with "hands off". No programs or screensaver running, and off line. No Dropbox or Folding or SETI or unnecessary Processes or Services or "tray-trash" running in the background, default power saving features in BIOS enabled, and Windows Power Options set for "Balanced" or "Power saver" but not High performance.

Here's what "idle" should look like:

9i9v2dm.jpg

Keep in mind that Core temperatures are driven by power consumption (watts) which is driven by software workloads. Lower CPU usage yields lower power consumption, and thus lower Core temperatures. Unless we're clear and very specific concerning what defines the term "idle", it's difficult to sort out whether settings, configurations, environment, air / liquid flow, hardware or software variables are causing high idle temperatures.

By simultaneously observing "CPU Utilization" in Windows Task Manager as well as "power consumption" in a utility such as Hardware Info, you should be able to determine what your idle state actually is.

CT :sol:
Thanks for clearing that up, will definitely check that!

so even if theyre all connected to the same socket they will have different RPMs?
It's just a matter of which fans are controlled by temperature of which component. Radiator fans speed should reflect CPU temperature. You have 3 radiator fans and all should be controlled CPU temperature. Case fans are partly to cool MB and components on it and partly to enter cool air and expel hot/worm air from the case.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
It's just a matter of which fans are controlled by temperature of which component. Radiator fans speed should reflect CPU temperature. You have 3 radiator fans and all should be controlled CPU temperature. Case fans are partly to cool MB and components on it and partly to enter cool air and expel hot/worm air from the case.
How does the computer differentiate them though if theyre all plugged into the same socket?