coolermaster tx3 on a i7 7700k with no OC

Jul 11, 2018
I get 78 to 83c at max when playing farcry 5 with coolermaster tx3 on a i7 7700k with no OC....is that OK?

Solution
Hi vrcx45,

The coolermaster tx3 cooler is rated for 95W.
The 7700K is a 90W CPU.

So you have zero headroom of colling. But that's pretty warm.
First, try to reseat the cooler cleaning old thermal compound then reapplying some new.

After that check angain your temps.

If nothing change, you'll have to take a bigger one like the Dark rock/Darkrock pro or NH D14/NH D15.

Rodolphe.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi vrcx45,

The coolermaster tx3 cooler is rated for 95W.
The 7700K is a 90W CPU.

So you have zero headroom of colling. But that's pretty warm.
First, try to reseat the cooler cleaning old thermal compound then reapplying some new.

After that check angain your temps.

If nothing change, you'll have to take a bigger one like the Dark rock/Darkrock pro or NH D14/NH D15.

Rodolphe.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When it comes to any of those 95w coolers on an i7, figure them as being exactly no different than a stock cooler replacement, not an upgrade. So yes, your temps are pretty much exactly right as you could expect the same performance from the cheapo cooler Intel usually includes.

Exactly. I have the same cooler on i7, i added a second fan for push-pull configuration but made no improvement. I am on 1.28 volts at load and this thing cannot run my cpu below high 70's-mid 80's. Really disappointing since my cpu is 77watt tdp actually

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TDP. Thermal design power set by Intel, it's not an actual temp, but power usage over a specified set of apps. The temps are usually within 10°C of power, mostly @5°C, so TDP was adopted as temp as well. But. Those apps are mediocre, running the pc at around decent websurfing, office, Photoshop type usage. It's by no means peak power which can easily hit 2x TDP on an i7 with hyperthreading enabled. So under stress torture test, you could expect that i7 to be upwards of 140w, on a 95w cooler. The cpu it self doesn't care about temps, 80°C to it is the same as 40°C, it's only after @90°C that it begins to care, by thermal throttling and shutdowns. So if a stock cooler under nominal usage reaches mid 70's, Intel is happy. You might not be.