Coolermaster V8 and Thermalright True Black 120

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I would get a V8 (for both a car and CPU cooler :kaola: ) because I have more confidence in its base. You probably know that the entire Thermalright ultra 120 extreme series is known for its bases which aren't flat at all. I have one myself and I can tell ya, it's true (haha, again a pun :D ). This is important because a cooler is often only as good as its base. The V8 however, has a base which is perfectly flat and well machined, according to Frostytech, which is one of the leading cooler review sites.
If you would be going for the TRUE Black, I suppose it's only because you like to looks of it more than the normal 'silver' TRUE. There is no difference in performance.

chluk2425

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008

yea... i saw the two posts at the top of this forum, about lapping it :pt1cable:
The reason to get a True Black is someone is selling it to me $10 cheaper then normal price :kaola:
Thanks for the comment :)

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
However, since I have a TRUE now and I don't want the spend the same amount of money again on another cooler if not necessairy (man, that must be spelled wrong!), I might just give it a try. V3NOM, what types of sandpaper did you use to lap your CPU/heatsink? Did you give it a mirror finish.
chluk2425, you should not follow this. If I was deciding on getting a cooler and if I knew what I know now, I would not go for the TRUE.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the info olddman. Did you get a shiny mirror finish with 1200 grid? I have always heard that a mirror finish is not the best, because it will prevent metal-to-metal contact between cpu and heatsink.

chluk2425

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Thankss for all suggestions and comments =]
I think I am going for the v8, the napping procedure is too risk for me... and since I am going back to UK (i am now in HK) next Thursday, I don't think I'll have time to ask for help...