Coolest GTX 1070?

Atariz

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I'm looking for the coolest 1070. I had a ZOTAC 1070 AMP Extreme but it was DOA and Newegg gave me a refund for it. Plus the size of the thing kind of scared me, like it would bend my PCIE slot over time. Now I'm wondering if I should just get that card again, or go for something else?

I was looking for one of the coolest cards possible because my room gets HOT during summer and the AC barely helps (I'm in an attic room).
Here's the rest of my build if it matters:
i7 6700k
Enermax ETS-T40F-W
Asus Z170-A
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
WD Blue 1TB
EVGA Supernova G2 550w

Solution

In that case, you want the Founders Edition of the GTX 1070 as it exhausts hot air through the rear of the case. An AIO water cooler will intake air from outside of the case, meaning that the water temperature is going to be hot as it passes through the GPU. An open-air GPU cooler will have a similar problem as the air cooling the GPU is hot.

Ambient air temperature is the single biggest factor when it comes to PC cooling.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
If you want the coolest running GTX 1070, and you are OK with a closed loop water cooler, the MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk would be the best one. It uses a Corsair closed loop water cooler on the GPU Core. But it is also $520 USD. You also have to make sure theres a spot in your case that can hold the radiator.

Stupid investment to be honest at that price. Not worth going hybrid GPU coolers unless you're going for the top model, and overclocking is less relevant this generation due to GPU Boost 3.0.
That money is better spent elsewhere in one's system.
I recommend getting the MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 or the Asus Strix GTX 1080. Both are great cards and run quiet and cool. The Asus is cooler than the Gaming X, beating it out by an amazing 4c at load at just 65c. Both feature fan stop modes, but the Asus is a bit more expensive due to the higher clocks. Warranty is decent on both models, but not quite EVGA level warranty. :) In Aus where I live, the Asus GTX 1080 is far and above the price of other 1080s, while in the states there is still evident price gouging and demand for the card.
All in all, I recommend you go for the MSI Gaming X, cheaper than the Asus and good performance and temps.
Its the one I have at the moment, and have had 0 issues with it, and amazing thermals.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

He wanted to know what was the coolest running GTX 1070, and i stated what was the coolest running GTX 1070. I never claimed it was the best price to performance ratio.

Just because it is AIO liquid cooled, does not mean its the coolest card. Actually doesn't run that well due to the low pump speed, and loud acoustics, as it features a H60-esque cooler and a single 8 pin connector, meaning performance will not be good compared to other 8pin + 6 pin designs which can overclock higher with a flashed bios and boost higher on stock speeds.
There aren't even any reviews out for it yet!
Don't make assumptions before you have the facts, results in poor investments and advice.
Just so you know, many enthusiasts who want to water cool simply have custom loops, while 99% of everyone else uses air cooled solutions due to leakage concerns with graphics card AIOs, the extremely inflated prices and the loud acoustics.
$$$ does not = performance.

Atariz

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

yea thats not for me lol

In that case, you want the Founders Edition of the GTX 1070 as it exhausts hot air through the rear of the case. An AIO water cooler will intake air from outside of the case, meaning that the water temperature is going to be hot as it passes through the GPU. An open-air GPU cooler will have a similar problem as the air cooling the GPU is hot.

Ambient air temperature is the single biggest factor when it comes to PC cooling.

Solution

Reference cards will suffer from thermal throttling regardless of room temperature.
Perhaps a solution to this could be investing in a few high static pressure fans such as the HP-12s or HP-14s depending on what case you're running with.
Some back and top exhaust fans also help.
Edit: For reference, I live in AUS, and picking up some extra fans to help with the summer heat was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Mmm.
Short of getting centralized air conditioning to the attic however, I think that your best bet OP is to get some good quality static pressure fans to exhaust some air out of your PC in order to keep CPU and GPU temps down.
As mentioned above, the Fractal Design Venturi HP fans are quite good, although if you are on a budget you might want to take a look at the BitFenix Spectre Pros.
They offer good cooling performance for the money, but are made of mostly plastic, meaning their build quality will feel kind of cheap, even though they get the job done surprisingly well. The price has gone up recently, so I wouldn't buy them unless they're going for $10 each which they do frequently on sale. Really though the HP-14s and HP-12s are better value for money if you can spend a bit more, much quieter and a better static pressure rating which should help with temps.

I'd try to put 2x fans in the top and front, 140mm preferably, but whatever fits.
Also try to put one 140mm as the back exhaust, which typically works best.