Cooling Adice for my New Rig

Canon624

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Just got my new computer and I'm looking to cool it down. I didn't build it myself, I ordered the parts and they built it. I got a GTX260, 600W PSU, ASUS P5K-VM mobo, 6BG of 800 MHz, and a Q9450 - stock cooling - and this case : Enlight 7250AKG Black 0.8mm Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. The idle temps on this are a bit high (maybe? I'm new to this so please tell) for my liking as I plan to OC it from its original 2.6 to 3.0 (this is the first time I will have EVER oc'd my cpu). Its not a big OC but I like it :). Note : I did add one intake fan on the side vent of the case and add one exhaust fan to the back. I also have my GTX260 fan on %100 all the time. Current Vcore is 1.13V.

These are my idle temps :

system @ 35c,
core0 @ 34c,
core1 @ 16c,
core2 @ 29c,
core3 @ 34c.

Water cooling isn't an option right now so does anyone have suggestions for adding cooling? Extra case fans? Better CPU cooler?

EDIT : SpeedFan says my cpu is at 9c? Are the 4 cores separate from the cpu or what? I don't understand. Should I be more concerned with my core temps or the cpu temp?

Check here for good reviews on coolers
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
don't forget thermal paste
Depending on the placement of that side fan you may not have room and have to move it. Check your measurements.
Each system/CPU/Cooler/room temp. is going to be different, you just have to raise your OC by small increments and check temps. With what you have so far with a new cooler i'd say that 3.0 will be a breeze.

Canon624

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The side fan shouldn't be a problem cause it mounts into a plastic case that shrouds the air right onto the cpu cooler. If worst comes to worst i can just mount it somewhere else and remove the piece of plastic casing. Thanks for the help everyone!

The idle temperatures don't matter. Run prime95 to see what the temperatures are at maximum load. The cpu is built to slow down and shut itself off if it gets too hot. That will be about 65-70c. The stock cooler is decent up to a point, but it can get noisy when the fan ramps up. An oem cooler should have been installed by the builder originally. The only way to install a cooler properly is to mount it while the motherboard is removed from the case. It needs to be outside to either install a back plate(best), or to verify that those tricky push pins are properly through and locked.

Canon624

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Under full for half and hour the highest temp any of my cores reached was 61c, and it was hovering around the 58c mark. I'm definitely going to buy a better cpu cooler so I can OC it with some good temps. When i do take out my mobo to put in the new cooler, as long as i connect everything back where it was originally, it'll be fine right?

Canon624

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I may not even have to buy a new cooler after all. I just boosted the fsb to 375 giving me 3.0 ghz and i've been running prim95 for an hour now and not one of my core temps have went over 60c.

EDIT : Been running Prime95 for 2 hours now. Max temp any of my cores reach was 65c at one point, and goes between 58c-65c. All the other cores are all going around 58c-62c. I think I'll buy a better cpu cooler just to be safe. :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would say you are doing pretty good at those temps, but it is never a bad idea to cool a CPU more. If you can shoot to 50-55C at load that would be doing quite well. Someone had a really good thread on how to really mount the Xigmatek correctly, down to thermal paste placement, rotation and fan choice. He said he seated it quite a few times trying to find the best way to apply the thermal paste and it made some significant differences in temps.