[SOLVED] Cooling advice needed for case and CPU

Tukolp

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a FRACTAL DESIGN Define R5 case, I experienced some heat rising on the CPU so I'm planning to buy a Freezer 34 eSports (or duo) or Freezer 34 CO (or the plain version).
I welcome any information concluding this subject. :)

-Now I have two fans pushing into: (one 14-cm stock fan of the case and plus one Noctua NF-s12a-pwm [link] ) 2 red arrows.

-And one also 14-cm stock fan of the case pushing air out . 1 blue arrow

-At the side of these I have two older 12cm fans, I'm not using them but in case I can use them if needed.
-The planned CPU cooler air flow direction is marked by the yellow arrow .

I would like to ask how to direct my fans, or which additional fans should I buy and where to put them is the case to maximize the cooling affectivity, or what would be the best case-scenario for my case ?
I would like to reduce the temperature of my CPU, VGA, and the purple chipset area also.
The purples ususaly hot.

My specs:
Case : FRACTAL DESIGN Define R5 fekete ablakos,
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W,
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
CPU: I7 6700
RAM: 3200MHz DDR4 RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black CL16 - 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
SSD: SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO
VGA: Gigabyte GTX970 Xtreme

Which additional fans should I install and where?
Thanks a lot,
Regards,

PjRGZCi.jpg

Solution
At equal diameter, higher rpm gives higher airflow.
I mistakenly thought your front and bottom were the same size.
Love 140mm fans, they move a lot of air quietly.
The case spec says 1000 rpm which is plenty.
To use the fans you now have, I would relocate the rear 140 fan to the front for added intake and use the 120mm noctua in the rear as exhaust.
The front intakes can be filtered which will reduce dust in your case if all the intake comes from just one source and is filtered.

I would not add extra exhaust to the top.
Such fans tend to divert the front intake air directly out the top without going over the graphics card, cpu and motherboard.

In the event that you want more airflow, noctua makes nice 140mm units that are 1200 rpm all...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd remove the front drive caddy where the SSD is in order to free up the airflow path and see if your temps drop down. Are all the fans the same make and model and how are they paired to the system? The purple demarcated areas aren't chipset, they are VRM's. The chipset is located between the area where the SATA ports and the PCIe slots are, which is under the GPU.

The SSD doesn't need cooling and can be located to the back of the motherboard tray, page 7 on case manual. You can also try and remove the rear most moduvent on the top of the case, see if that helps with the temps, without having to buy anything.

The i7-6700 looks like it is using the stock intel cooler.
I think I would replace that with a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan.
The ones you listed should be fine.

Agree with Lutfij to simply move the ssd drive mount lower out of the direct front intake stream.

What is the rpm of the front intake?
If the noctua at 1200 rpm is stronger, I would swap that to the front.

Tukolp

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd remove the front drive caddy where the SSD is in order to free up the airflow path and see if your temps drop down. Are all the fans the same make and model and how are they paired to the system? The purple demarcated areas aren't chipset, they are VRM's. The chipset is located between the area where the SATA ports and the PCIe slots are, which is under the GPU.

The SSD doesn't need cooling and can be located to the back of the motherboard tray, page 7 on case manual. You can also try and remove the rear most moduvent on the top of the case, see if that helps with the temps, without having to buy anything.

Hello there :D

" Are all the fans the same make and model and how are they paired to the system?" No, actualy the Noctua on the bottom as I linked is a bit different,
-But if you say so, I can remove the SSD rack, put both of the stock fans on the front, and also I was planing to buy another 14 cm fan to the back, or I can put it on the front too.

"The SSD doesn't need cooling and can be located to the back of the motherboard tray, page 7 on case manual. You can also try and remove the rear most moduvent on the top of the case, see if that helps with the temps, without having to buy anything."
- Ye I can try ot too, or also put on of my leftover 12cm fans on the top.

Just not sure about the CPU cooler, should I buy the one with the Fluid dimanic bearing, or the other one with the dual ball bearing ?

Tukolp

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
The i7-6700 looks like it is using the stock intel cooler.
I think I would replace that with a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan.
The ones you listed should be fine.

Agree with Lutfij to simply move the ssd drive mount lower out of the direct front intake stream.

What is the rpm of the front intake?
If the noctua at 1200 rpm is stronger, I would swap that to the front.

"What is the rpm of the front intake?"
-For this I will need to compare the stock Define 14 cm fan with my Noctua, I'm not sure which is stronger.

And about the CPU cooler I'm still not sure :S

To use the fans you now have, I would relocate the rear 140 fan to the front for added intake and use the 120mm noctua in the rear as exhaust.
The front intakes can be filtered which will reduce dust in your case if all the intake comes from just one source and is filtered.

Such fans tend to divert the front intake air directly out the top without going over the graphics card, cpu and motherboard.

In the event that you want more airflow, noctua makes nice 140mm units that are 1200 rpm all the way up to 3000 rpm.
I doubt that you would need any such.

I am a fan of Noctua coolers.
Yes, they are more expensive but are top quality.
They are particularly easy to install.
I might suggest the Noctua NH-U12s redux:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p1...dux-_-13C-0005-001N1-_-Product&quicklink=true

For a bit more, consider
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u1...nh-u12s-_-35-608-040-_-Product&quicklink=true
What you get is a slightly better cooler with some low noise adapters and a tube of excellent paste good for several remounts.
The redux comes with only pre applied paste.

Solution

Tukolp

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015

In the event that you want more airflow, noctua makes nice 140mm units that are 1200 rpm all the way up to 3000 rpm.
I doubt that you would need any such.

I am a fan of Noctua coolers.
Yes, they are more expensive but are top quality.
They are particularly easy to install.
I might suggest the Noctua NH-U12s redux:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1?Description=nh-u12s redux&cm_re=nh-u12s_redux--13C-0005-001N1--Product&quicklink=true

For a bit more, consider
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u12s/p/N82E16835608040?Description=nh-u12s&cm_re=nh-u12s-_-35-608-040-_-Product&quicklink=true
What you get is a slightly better cooler with some low noise adapters and a tube of excellent paste good for several remounts.
The redux comes with only pre applied paste.

-Thanks for the detailed answer I will put the two 12cm fans on the front and not up,
Also I thought I might try to put on fan at the place of the noctua so my VGA would also get some air, I'm just not sure, cause my VGA is getting usually pretty hot.

"I am a fan of Noctua coolers."
-Yeah, me too :D, but now I need to be a bit more on the budget, cause soon, maybe in like half a year I will be moving, just wanted a "faster" solution,
this is Why I was trying to buy some nice budged CPU coolers, later I'm planing to buy the Noctua as you said,
But for now I still need to decide that Liquid dynamic bearing is the good choice, or the DUAL Ball bearing, both types from the Arctic cooler freezer 34, or the eSports one.

Is this your case?
The specs show a single 140mm front intake and a similar 140mm rear exhaust fan.
Just move the rear 140 to the front as added intake and move the bottom 120 to the rear as exhaust. The purpose of the rear exhaust is mainly to direct the front airflow over the cpu cooler and motherboard.
The key is getting good airflow into the case.
Intake air will eventually exit SOMEWHERE, taking component heat with it.

For a good, inexpensive cooler, look at the VETROO-V5 for $25.
https://www.newegg.com/vetroo-v5/p/13C-00F3-00002

Do not worry about fan specs such as bearing type.
Fans are cheap and easy to replace.
You are getting into second order considerations.
Fan quality is probably more important to longevity, tonal quality, noise and airflow.

Reactions: Tukolp

Tukolp

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
- Yes this is mine, I have a black version.

"Just move the rear 140 to the front as added intake and move the bottom 120 to the rear as exhaust. The purpose of the rear exhaust is mainly to direct the front airflow over the cpu cooler and motherboard."

- I will do it when my CPU cooler arrives :D

"For a good, inexpensive cooler, look at the VETROO-V5 for $25. https://www.newegg.com/vetroo-v5/p/13C-00F3-00002 "

-I would buy it for sure, the problem is, in my country (Hungary) I cant buy it, and from other country the shipping would be costy I think.
In my country I can choose from these brands: Shop

Last edited by a moderator: