mrcanada11

Prominent
Oct 31, 2019
I recently upgraded from my old Windows 7 laptop of 15 years to a newer (still used but way newer) Windows 10 version of a 2015 Alienware. My only real concern - it's a massive 6.6 pounds, and though I DON'T stress it basically at all, it still can get pretty heated up. I basically use it for work, web browsing while doing the usual MS Office stuff, and watch the occasional movie saved on the external HD. Occasional older games, think StarCraft 2, Diablo 2, etc. I have a desktop for the power, this is for work.

My basic question - most of the laptop cooling pads I've seen don't work well under max pressure, but do they work under "MS Office" pressure?

I'm mostly trying to keep from melting a hole in my desk, the airplane drop tray, etc.

Solution
Have you ever cleaned it out with a can of compressed air before?

If the answer is no that may be why its running so hot.

Computers are dust magnets and need to be blown out every once in awhile. This is especially true for laptops as they're much more compact on the inside

Edit - it may also need new thermal paste as well. 5 years is about when thermal paste dries out and when it dries out you can see temperatures rise considerably.

Furzumz

Reputable
Have you ever cleaned it out with a can of compressed air before?

If the answer is no that may be why its running so hot.

Computers are dust magnets and need to be blown out every once in awhile. This is especially true for laptops as they're much more compact on the inside

Edit - it may also need new thermal paste as well. 5 years is about when thermal paste dries out and when it dries out you can see temperatures rise considerably.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrcanada11
Solution