Cooling and other difficulties?

BOMorgoth

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I am currently working on a build and my biggest fear of spending close to 2000$ on a gaming desktop is its ability to stay cool as well as it working well. Here are my specs. If you believe a better cooling system may be needed then I will of course add one, and if you see anything else wrong with the build please clue me in, I have little to no computer knowledge.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)

Fathers Day Featured Promotions: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard/Mouse Combo (Black Color w/ Blue Light)

Gaming Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Side-Panel Window (Black)

Extra Case Fans: Default case fans

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6800K Six-Core 3.40GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X99-SLI ATX w/ Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1x M.2 PCIe & SATA III, 10x SATA 6Gb/s

RAM / System Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2800MHz Quad Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

Video Card: GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

Power Supply: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 240GB SanDisk Z410 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 535 MB/s Read & 440 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

USB Hub & Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

BOMorgoth

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
By 1080 you're referring to the graphics card? I'm not too familiar with your verb usage in regards to "bios" and "broadwell cpu on x99". Could you be more specific?

Sorry, I often assume people know the terminology. First, graphics typically come with many different coolers. Reference designs are from Nvidia and amd whom actually make the graphic processing unit. The gtx 1080 is a video card from Nvidia and the founders edition is their reference design. I would recommend getting a non reference card like one made by third party manufacture like Asus's strix, Msi's twin frozr or gigabyte's windforce versions of the gtx 1080.

The bios is the code that independent of the Os and is the basic functionality of the Motherboard. When I say update bios I am referring to that. You would need to go to the manufacturer's website and download it. You also need to store in directory easy for you to find and install the bios by hitting f2 as soon as computer boots running and running within the interface provided (it's a lot easier than it sounds). Without having the latest bios your x99 motherboard may not recognize newer broadwell processor.

BOMorgoth

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
If I was getting this computer built by Cyberpower or IBUYPOWER would they not take these things into consideration and do them for me? I know that they pre-install Windows 10 as well as McAfee virus prior to being shipped, would you think they'd take care of these things for me? If not that's fine, just don't know.

BOMorgoth

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
What if instead I went with a setup such as this:

· Processor :: Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

· Processor Cooling :: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan

· Memory ::16GB DDR4-2800 ADATA XPG**

· Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti - 6GB - Single Card

· Motherboard :: MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Mini-ITX -- Wireless AC + Bluetooth, 4x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0

· Power Supply :: 700 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze

· Primary Hard Drive :: 240 GB Intel 540s Series SSD -- Read: 560MB/s, Write: 480MB/s - Single Drive

· Data Hard Drive :: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64MB Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

· Sound Card :: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard