Cooling and Watts needed

Mondra

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
So here is the build I will use to construct my PC.
-Intel Core i5-4690K Quad-Core Processor
-ASUS Z97-A
-Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB
-WD Blue 1 TB
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
-Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
-Asus 24x Video Burner
-Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
So, around how much PSU would I need to support this build? What if I added another 290 Tri-X, how much PSU would I need? Also, if I did add another Tri-x do you think I would have to add cooling? Switch to water cooling or add more fans? Or are all the stock fans on the case and the GPU enough? all answers are highly appreciated. UPDATE: so with one of those gpu, people say 650 watts would be good, and with 2 of those cards, 1000 to 1050 watts is enough. Are they right? Also, if I was to run 2 r9 290tri-x's in CF, would I need extra cooling?(I wouldn't overclock them at all, since I have no idea how to do that)

Solution
The problem with always getting overkill PSU's is that we can't really know if a lower wattage unit would have worked, now can we? :p

Don't get me wrong; I also appreciate the idea of getting an overkill power supply, specially if money allows for it. That's why I'm running a 1000W Platinum Seasonic on my dual 680's and i7-3820. But when we want to figure out how to save a few extra dollars, the difference between a $150 unit that does 1000W and a 750W unit for $100 becomes noticeable.

In the end, going by TDP is biased towards larger PSU's, since they represent a power usage the component is never actually designed to reach. If we use TDP, then, the components should stay at 80% of that at worst, creating our efficiency peak. So...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocked i5 can pull about 150W if you really push it.

R9-290 can conceivably pull about 300W each. I would recommend an 850W supply as a minimum for a Crossfire config. Nothing wrong with a 1000W supply for a little extra wiggle room.

I would think the included fans would be enough for almost any configuration.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with the above, although I think we can get away with a solid quality 750W unit. The quoted numbers are very much the highest limit of power consumption those components can reach, and they are unlikely to reach them in general. But having a bit of overhead isn't bad, and units like the EVGA G2 850W are not much more expensive than the 750W option, so it might be a good idea to go for 850W.

The need for cooling depends on your case, more than anything. If you're using open coolers, those tend to add a lot of heat to the inside of the case, and the 290 is a hot card. You probably won't need water cooling, but you will need a case with very good airflow.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Go to 1000w.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $149.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 14:24 EDT-0400

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Worst case power supply selecting usually lands you in the %60-80 load which is darn near ideal for efficiency and noise.

Old personal example:

i7-950 + ASUS DCUII GTX580 SLI = 135W CPU, stock, 244W GPUs stock. ~600W. 200W+ CPU overclocked + Each GPU with a dual 8-pin power connector 375WX2 = 950W, so I went out and got a 1050W supply. Didn't have any issues and the supply stayed fairly cool even after the GPUs were overclocked (Actually ended up undervolting the CPU because I couldn't get the memory to keep up)

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
The problem with always getting overkill PSU's is that we can't really know if a lower wattage unit would have worked, now can we? :p

Don't get me wrong; I also appreciate the idea of getting an overkill power supply, specially if money allows for it. That's why I'm running a 1000W Platinum Seasonic on my dual 680's and i7-3820. But when we want to figure out how to save a few extra dollars, the difference between a $150 unit that does 1000W and a 750W unit for $100 becomes noticeable.

In the end, going by TDP is biased towards larger PSU's, since they represent a power usage the component is never actually designed to reach. If we use TDP, then, the components should stay at 80% of that at worst, creating our efficiency peak. So dual 300W TDP cards plus a 150W (originally 84W TDP) CPU yield 750W. Adding in 50W for the rest of the system, a good 800W unit should be enough to handle this system.

I guess in the end I'm just playing devil's advocate here, since most 850W units are too close to the same price of 1000W units, to the point that 1000W units are definitely the better choice :p

Solution