[SOLVED] Cooling ATi Radeon AGP video card (front and back)

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
I have an old (2010) ATi video card -- ASUS ATi (AMD) Radeon HD 3450 512mb AGP DVI/VGA/HDMI Graphics Card -- that is still working (PC is always on!!) .

1145077.jpg

GPU temps (per my PC utility SpeedFan, report 35-41C avg. )

Twice a year, the fan motor needs oiling, and the fans and heat-sink needs blowing out.

On my motherboard, the fan side faces down and this side is face up:

s-l1600.jpg

Notice the white square pad with the smaller white rectangle protruding thru the cutout. I think this is the bottom of the same (??) main GPU that is on the fan side.
I put my finger on the small white rectangle and it feels very warm. Using an IR thermometer, I measured ~52C on the white rectangle.
So what exactly is the white rectangle, what's that soft white square pad around it, and why isn't it heat-sinked?

Solution
But what is that "stuff" on the non-fan side?

Also a weird reporting anomaly ...
In Windows, using SpeedFan utility, the same GPU's readings (when PC is idling, with min, load) are 7-8C lower than when I'm running Linux (using any Linux sensors utility, the GPU temp is 7-8C warmer than in Win, when PC is idling, with min, load).

If I had to make an educated guess, probably an integrated chip providing a PCI/PCIe to AGP interface. The GPU is new enough that it was probably built with a PCIe interface on silicon, and they needed the additional chip to make it backwards compatible with AGP.

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
52C isn't very warm for electronics, certainly well above skin temperature which is why it seems hot.

I wouldn't worry until you see something like 85C and up.

In Windows, using SpeedFan utility, the same GPU's readings (when PC is idling, with min, load) are 7-8C lower than when I'm running Linux (using any Linux sensors utility, the GPU temp is 7-8C warmer than in Win, when PC is idling, with min, load).

kanewolf

Titan

It looks like thermal tape. But every picture I have found of that card, even "new" cards have that same configuration. I thought maybe there was a heatsink that had been thermal taped on, but I can't find any photographic evidence of that.

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
It looks like thermal tape. But every picture I have found of that card, even "new" cards have that same configuration. I thought maybe there was a heatsink that had been thermal taped on, but I can't find any photographic evidence of that.
I bought mine new. It has been that way since I took it out of the wrapper, Yes, all other photos I've found show same white pad. Heatsink and pad are on the other side. It might be flat "micro" heatsink -- many phones and SBCs are like that.
I did use some double sided thermal tape to affix a small heatsink to that surface. But I'm only seeing a 3C drop in GPU sensor temp and (perhaps) a 7C drop in IR thermo when I laser the taped heatsink interface.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

If I had to make an educated guess, probably an integrated chip providing a PCI/PCIe to AGP interface. The GPU is new enough that it was probably built with a PCIe interface on silicon, and they needed the additional chip to make it backwards compatible with AGP.

Solution