Cooling best place for Radiator?

deekay76

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
I had some issues with my graphics card being very close to my cpu and causing the stock fan to go crazy without any load on the gpu, so I bought a Seidon 240m.
My case is a Cooler Master N600 which has the option of either installing the radiator on the side or the top. I also hear that the fans act as extractors on this water cooler, but this can be reversed? So, i'm a little lost also as to how I should set the fans up, on the top,of the radiator or underneath? On the side of the case or on the top?
My build is a Ga z77m dh3, i5350k, gtx970 asus strix, rm750.

Edit: There is no room for the rad to go above with the fans underneath it!

Solution
Theres nothing wrong with having fans or indeed rads outside the case, but I would advise having grills on the topmost fans to prevent issues with fingers/paws/tongues getting in the way of the blades, google 'Motopsychojdn next one for an exterior topmounted radiator example, or 'Motopsychojdn Radbox' for an external enclosure option, and the watercooling gallery here has some great builds with so.e good ideas you can borrow for your own build :)
Moto

Sameer15557

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Option 1)Hey there! If I were you I would mount the radiator on top of the case with the fans on top of the radiator in a pull configurations. When they are in pull position on top of the radiator it will bring in fresh cool air from outside and cool your radiator, so radiator below fans that will be in pull configuration.
Option 2)Also if you want you can put the fans below the radiator and see if there was a difference in temps.
Option 3)Lastly what you can do is both, so make sure you have 4 fans and mount 2 below the radiator in pull and mount 2 on top in push.
Hope this helped, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Sameer15557

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Lmfao! Dont put the fans outside the case. Instead get the radiator and put it in front of your case with the fans in a pull configuration in front of the radiator bring air from outside. So first the fans then behind the fans will be the radiator, which will be in front of the case. Try that and reply, I think its going to be better than the side of the case.

Like this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8Uv2S4NWhGM/maxresdefault.jpg

Or like this: http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC_0385.jpg

deekay76

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
lol! Is it really that bad? I have the fans mounted on top of the case at the moment with the rad inside at the top! Putiing the rad at the front will mean moving all my drive bays out, bit of hassle. Aesthetically it might not look great on top, but performance wise will it be ok?

Sameer15557

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

So wait your fans are outside your case?

deekay76

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014

yep

Sameer15557

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

lol ok just make sure u dont get ur fingers there, anyways if u think its fine then thats great and dont forget to pick my answer as a solution.

Theres nothing wrong with having fans or indeed rads outside the case, but I would advise having grills on the topmost fans to prevent issues with fingers/paws/tongues getting in the way of the blades, google 'Motopsychojdn next one for an exterior topmounted radiator example, or 'Motopsychojdn Radbox' for an external enclosure option, and the watercooling gallery here has some great builds with so.e good ideas you can borrow for your own build :)
Moto

Solution