[SOLVED] Cooling Comparison and Confusion

Nov 7, 2018
So I'm looking at a new PC build and I'm looking at a few different liquid AIO CPU coolers. On the cooler master side I'm debating between the ML360R or the ML280 Pro. The Pro line has upgraded pumps that have a way longer MTTF time and since this will be my first water cooling adventure I like the idea of a longer component life to prevent links. Anyway, this comparison brought me to Tom's (as most hardware does) but now I'm confused.

According to the ML360R review (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/coolermaster-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb,5736-2.html), the unit is best in class and it's core temps are 49.6 - 52.4.

According to the ML280 Pro review (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterliquid-pro-280-cooler,5059-2.html), the core temps are 43 - 52; I would think that this means the 280 is better than the 360 at cooling but the review says it's just "good cooling".

Both list the same CPU details for testing.

What am I missing?

Solution
most of the time with these AiO's the manufacturer puts the exact same pump in both the 280mm and the 360mm options.

This means that while there's more surface of a 360mm radiator to dissipate heat, there's also more space inside for more water, which means a heavier seeping can occur and this can sometimes cause it to not keep temps as cool as a a 280mm option when the flow rate is exactly the same.

But while the lows can range and differ, it's the max temps you need to focus on.
Since both options seem to be maintaining the same max temps, pick whichever one fits better within your budget and more importantly, your PC case.

And even though you're looking into the Master Liquid series, I might also offer an alternative suggestion...
Nov 7, 2018

Yea and if it's true; if the 280 actually does perform better than I'm golden and I'll just get that one since it has the better pump life too. But the fact that it doesnt match up with the review itself has me questioning what part is off.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
most of the time with these AiO's the manufacturer puts the exact same pump in both the 280mm and the 360mm options.

This means that while there's more surface of a 360mm radiator to dissipate heat, there's also more space inside for more water, which means a heavier seeping can occur and this can sometimes cause it to not keep temps as cool as a a 280mm option when the flow rate is exactly the same.

But while the lows can range and differ, it's the max temps you need to focus on.
Since both options seem to be maintaining the same max temps, pick whichever one fits better within your budget and more importantly, your PC case.

And even though you're looking into the Master Liquid series, I might also offer an alternative suggestion which would be the NZXT Kraken X62 (rev. 2.0 / Make sure it's the rev. 2.0 version)
It's one I've been using for quite some time on my overclocked i7-6700K and has been performing wonderfully.
It's a 280mm radiator that is a bit thicker than others so make sure you have the mounting support as well as the clearance for its thickness with fans on it.

Solution
Nov 7, 2018

I've been also looking at the Kraken's now and had a couple questions from your experience.

1 By any chance have you seen what the MTTF on the pump is? They have a way longer warranty than the coolermaster but thecoolermaster lists 175,000 hour MTTF which is a looong time.
2. Do you know if the X72 has a rev 2 as well?
3. Any preference between the X72 and X62?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The only reason there's a revision 2 of the x62 is because the first version had a couple hiccups. As far as I'm aware, these hiccups weren't present in the X52 and X72.
I Don't know what MTTF is. But I will assume it's life expectancy? If that's the case, should at the very least last as long as the warranty.
I have only had mine for a year now. Haven't had any failures with it so far. Unlike with cooler master and corsair where you constantly hear about their AiO's failing within a month's time and needing to be warrantied. Doesn't mean that they don't produce good ones, but it does speak of the quality of their manufacturing process.

TRENDING THREADS