Cooling Cpu with case fans

banejr

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hi i was just wondering if i got this correct, i have a new computer and i am using the n400 case and i have 2 intake fans in the front, 2 exhaust on the top, one on the side, and one at the back. They are all 120mm except for the side mounted one and my temp has risen.. is there something i have done wrong with my set up?

While it is true that the ambient/room temp can effect the operating temp of your CPU, this is usually not cause for alarm. How much of an increase are we talking?

CPUs also have a thermal shutdown mode coded into the BIOS/UEFI. This means that if the temp reading ever reaches this, the CPU would shut itself off to prevent damage from overheating. Still, not letting this happen is the best practice.

The increase in your CPU temp could also be effected by the thermal paste on the CPU drying out. I would recommend using Artic Silver 5, if not already using it.

banejr

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

well i am running prime 95 and it has been going for about 15 - 20 min and it has been sitting at a stable 59-60c, (using stock cooler on fx 4300) And for ambient temps i did turn the heat up in the house. When i first booted up the computer this morning my idle temps were 25 - 30 without the side fan. But again it was really cold in the house. well as for now it seems okay, but it did seem cooler before i had the side fan on. Now the idle temps are 33 - 35c when i first boot up the pc { i just finished running prime 95 and it was stable at 61c, i also forgot to say that i overclocked the cpu from 3800mhz to 4200mhz. }

Latest posts