Question Cooling down my smoking 10600k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi Guys.
I just bought a 10600k and a few other components.

my full spec is this:
ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z490
I5 10600K
Noctua NH-U12S
HyperX Fury 2X8GB 2400Mhz
Asus Gaming GTX 1080 Ti
FSP Aurum Gold 700w
Antec NX600 case
2 more Antec 120mm Spark fans.

My fans configuration:
The Noctua fan is on the right side of the heatsinks.
I have one exhaust in the back, 3 intakes in the front but they are blocked by the front glass as there is barely any air vents in the front.
And two more 120mm on top as intakes.

I'm getting to 84 degrees on my CPU(stock!) while gaming.
My 1080ti is also going above 80..

I have set my CPU and case fans profiles to be at 100% already at 60 degrees or something.

I miss the days I would leave my case open before I had this glass front!

Would love to get some help! Thanks!

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
I might OC my 10600k soon if I'll get a 3070/80.
Is there any hope? both CPU and GPU climb over 80 c in stress, and about 60-70 with an open case but obviously it's not ideal and also not cool enough for an OC.
my fan configuration in my NX600 case is this:
1 Default fan in the back as exhaust.
1 Antec Spark 120mm in the top back as exhaust.
2 Antec Spark 120mm in front (from the inside as opposed to how the case fans were originally) as intake.
1 Default fan in front bottom slot, still on the outside of the chassis, as intake.

I can exchange my nhu12s for an nhd15 for 25$ or less if that makes any difference.
What else can I do to lower the temps in my case? better fans and CPU cooler ? or this case won't ever be good enough? maybe even making bigger holes in the side of the front panel? the current holes can't even fit a toothpick...
iyZPf4m.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Still haven't changed that chassis, even after you've PROVED there's an airflow issue from the following statement?
both CPU and GPU climb over 80 c in stress, and about 60-70 with an open case
That is a significant drop in thermals with the chassis open.
ANY cooler is only going to be as efficient from what the chassis allows, and a good model shouldn't impact thermals more than 5C, open or closed.

Give it(Antec NX600) up mate.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Still haven't changed that chassis, even after you've PROVED there's an airflow issue from the following statement?

That is a significant drop in thermals with the chassis open.
ANY cooler is only going to be as efficient from what the chassis allows, and a good model shouldn't impact thermals more than 5C, open or closed.

Give it(Antec NX600) up mate.
Aside from the front being almost blocked, what else can be that bad with the case's airflow? I played 5 minutes of COD MW with the front and side panel open, the CPU was about 55-60 degrees while the GPU fan was working very hard to keep it under 65, I'm gonna try putting the glass again and playing with the front panel open...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The front panel and the front fans sitting too close to said panel is the worst of it. That's where most PCs get their cool intake from.

Power supply shrouds, while their purpose is build cleanliness, they reduce(hole perforated shrouds), or completely cut off the bottom as a source of air. So that leaves the front and back, but the front is choked off in that chassis too.