Cooling down the VRM

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
Hi,

I've just realized that the VRM's overheating causes the throttle in my rig, so now I'm searching for a way to cool it down. Probably you won't be surprised: my mobo is an ASRock 970 Pro3 r2.0, and my CPU is an FX-8350.

I've just bought (well I mean half a year ago) a CM Hyper 212X cooler, and I'd really love to avoid selling it, so I need another method.
I'm not a fan of the over-complicated DIY ideas as well, if possible (so I'd like to avoid ziplining a cooler).

Right now there is spot for one more case fan on the back of the case. Do you think that it can be enough? I also saw these spot-coolers, but if I have to place it directly above the MOSFET, at least two of them is necessary, and I guess there are not enough power connectors on my mobo.

The other thing I thought about are the MOSFET heatsinks, though I've never tried them, so I don't know if they would do the trick, also probably two packs are needed, since there are 12-14 modules at first glance.

What do you think could solve my problem? If none of these above, do you have a better idea? I want to spend the least possible, so please try to find solution to my problem and don't just say "your mobo is garbage, throw it out".

Thank you for your help in advance.

There are 14 MOSFETs on the CPU's VRM circuit that you would need to cool. There are no mounting holes on the motherboard to attach a heatsink so you'll need to use thermal adhesive. You will also need to blow air over those MOSFET heatsinks so you'll need another fan.

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

The case is an Asus Vento A8 T. There is only the stock fan (of one of the parts, I don't know which one comes with a fan, yes, I'm an idiot).

Here are the pictures, I tried to take a photo from above and from a little bit closer, though my cam made it a little more artistic and a little less useful. The VRMs are below the CPU's fan
Cv8HLV2

ExnYiZ0

ko888: Do you mean that a fan directly above them, or one on the back of the case? Also I found this EnzoTech MOS-C1, which doesn't need a mounting hole, that was the heatsink I mentioned.

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

I think the best thing to do is buy a new case with a bottom mounted power supply and top fan mounts. The case you are using is old and cramped with limited cooling.

Something like the NZXT Source 210 case will give you much better airflow options without spending too much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.91 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SCF-P14025KK-RP 56.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $58.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-19 18:04 EST-0500

I would install the bitfenix 140mm fan on the top fan port blowing air in from the top, cooling the VRM's. The Cooler Master 120mm fan is for the front intake fan port.

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

You could replace your cooler with a "down facing fan" style, cooling not only the CPU but the VRM's and surrounding components. I don't really see any other option.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7XH48d/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrg5v220pkr1

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
The spot cooler wouldn't work probably as I said, since it can't blow directly on every MOSFET. Also can you recommend me another cooler in this price range?
Thank you for your help, but also I'm still waiting if someone has an easier answer. So are you totally sure that the little heatsinks I mentioned wouldn't work? These are the ones I was talking about: http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

Those ENZOTECH MOS-C1 heatsinks are mounted using 3M 8815 thermal tape and come in a package of 10.

Even a fan blowing on those heatsinks from the side or above would be better than what you have now. You need airflow through the MOSFET heatsinks or you'll still have the VRM throttling problem due to stagnant air.

From your pictures it looks like the CPU cooler is using a pull configuration and the fan is situated right above the VRM MOSFETS blocking any airflow. Try mounting the CPU cooler fan in a push configuration.

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
I did try it in a push configuration, but it was the same if not worse. Where can I place a fan? (Considering what I've said above that I really not feel professional enough for any DIY tricks).

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

This cooler might also work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3913ZS5743

EDIT: I can't find any info on your case either. I'm assuming the front intake fan ports are 80mm? You should be able to add two fans there.

If they are indeed 80mm, I recommend adding TWO of these fans to force fresh air into the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835132020

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
I can't really find a way to install any coolers in the front intake.

Also I changed my mind, and I am willing to swap my CPU cooler. the GeminII looks great for its price, also I've found the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP, I don't know which one would work better. I didn't really find anything about the Enermax however, are you positive that it should work?

Also I will set up another exhaust fan, for which I thought about Arctic Cooling F8 PWM Rev.2. Is the one you recommended better than this one?

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

I think you're right, that Noctua cooler actually looks like the best choice. I would go for that, and the bgears b-Blaster 80 80mm Case Fan I suggested.

For the front intake, you can usually pull the front panel off (from the bottom).Before you do that loosen your front panel wires so they don't come yanking off with the panel.

It really would help a lot if you had fresh air coming in from the front. I would probably not build a new PC without some sort of front fan intake these days.

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

Sadly that one isn't available in Hungary, so can you recommend me another one? Also how should I install them? Should they push or pull?

Also that may sound lame, but I'm on that point working with this rig that may get broken, and this front panel doesn't seem to come off that easily, so I am hoping that the Noctua and two exhaust fans will do the trick without front fans.

I'm going to buy the Noctua tomorrow (unless I find anyone on the internet tonight, who had problems with it, apparently some people get high temps at OC, but I just want it to work flawlessly on stock finally, and I can end this nightmare), so I will come back with some results tomorrow.

what GreySilencer said, X2 - you're not going to get a more positive result than a new case with proper ventilation
$40 for that case he listed is not on the expensive side. I'd add in a couple of fans, and always have more air blowing in than exhausting - you want positive air pressure inside the case

sigalizer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

Well for that price (and by selling the old one) I can almost buy a new mobo. I know that cooling wouldn't be better, but since I don't want to overclock, and apart from the VRM, everything works swell right now (CPU doesn't even reach 60 C mostly, the VGA works even better), so all I want is to get a stable with everything on stock.

I know, we are getting a bit of off-topic, but can you recommend me a preferably cheap mobo which would work with the FX-8350 at stock clock flawlessly?