Question Cooling fan combability with new CPU

srcordeiro

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hello,

A few years ago my Core I7 4770 was getting very hot consistently and, as recommended on this forum, I replaced the stock cooling fan for a Arctic Freezer 34 that worked wonders. It made the CPU work at less than half the temp it was working before and very silent at it.

A few days ago, I finally was able to get a whole new PC (after 9 years with the old one, what a champ of computer). This one with a Core I7 12700F. When I asked at the store if it was recommended to get a better CPU fan, they said they thought it wasn't needed since these new CPUs and stock fans are better regarding temperature management.

I don't have the PC for long and wasn't able to push it much but. As an example, when I use machine-learning photo noise-reduction software, I hear the fan kicking in and I monitor the CPU temperature: it gets around 70C to 80C from the baseline 35C on the few seconds it takes to get the job done.

So, I'm being a bit obsessive over this? Is this totally normal?

Either way, is it possible to switch the colling fans from the old to the new PC and vice-versa? Are they compatible with each other?
I'll donate the old PC in a few weeks, so I have to decide if it's worth going to the work of switching them before that.

Thanks in advance.

The 12700F will come with a stock cooler that will do the job.
Yes, under full load, the stock fan will spin up and become noisy.
That is one reason why many will install an aftermarket cooler.
The cpu will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That point is around 100c.
Occasional touches of 100c. is not overly concerning.
Peak turbo performance depends on a good cooler that keeps temps under 70c.
That is one other reason to buy an aftermarket cooler.
Noctua keeps a list of suitable coolers for different processors.
Here is the list for the 12700F:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700F-1590

Hello,

A few years ago my Core I7 4770 was getting very hot consistently and, as recommended on this forum, I replaced the stock cooling fan for a Arctic Freezer 34 that worked wonders. It made the CPU work at less than half the temp it was working before and very silent at it.

A few days ago, I finally was able to get a whole new PC (after 9 years with the old one, what a champ of computer). This one with a Core I7 12700F. When I asked at the store if it was recommended to get a better CPU fan, they said they thought it wasn't needed since these new CPUs and stock fans are better regarding temperature management.

I don't have the PC for long and wasn't able to push it much but. As an example, when I use machine-learning photo noise-reduction software, I hear the fan kicking in and I monitor the CPU temperature: it gets around 70C to 80C from the baseline 35C on the few seconds it takes to get the job done.

So, I'm being a bit obsessive over this? Is this totally normal?

Either way, is it possible to switch the colling fans from the old to the new PC and vice-versa? Are they compatible with each other?
I'll donate the old PC in a few weeks, so I have to decide if it's worth going to the work of switching them before that.

Thanks in advance.

Yes its "normal", but your arctic freezer 34 would be better, and yes it's compatible but only with an adapter.
Here's a kit that will adapt it to fit LGA1700 sockets.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Intel...645981504&sprefix=arctic+lga+1,aps,183&sr=8-2

Reactions: srcordeiro

srcordeiro

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Thanks for the replies.

Ok, knowing the Arctic Freezer can be mounted, I now have to decide if it's worth getting the extra adapter (the reviews are a bit mixed).

Or just use the stock cooler for a while and later get a natively compatible cooler.

Decisions decisions...

srcordeiro

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Just to post an update to this that can be helpful to others regarding a similar decision:

I've decided to use the Arctic Freezer 34 with an adapter. On Arctic website they offered an adapter free of charge for those who showed proof they had bought a new Intel processor, excellent customer service!

The installation was easy and it all works great. Now the baseline is around 20 C to 27 C and only goes to 70C under very, very heavy load (I was only able to do that with benchmark software).

Regarding noise, the stock cooler was almost silent when idle or light work, but very loud with the sudden spin noise when working harder. The Arctic when idle or light work has a bit more noticeable noise, but I wouldn't say it's loud, and there's practically no noise difference between light or heavy CPU load.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech