[SOLVED] Cooling for 5900x

Solution
Pretty much everything. I will order it online. Do you think Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 is a good alternative? It's 163mm and has similar performance.
Aye. It has front fan memory clearance of 45-46(?)mm in its default position. The product page has an image of it sitting over G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 ram with a little space to spare, and that kit is 44mm tall.
If memory clearance with even taller ram is an issue, there's Scythe's FUMA 2 Rev B., which the front fan avoids the ram entirely. The NH-D15S does the same thing, but it does cost a bit more - especially the Chromax.
Jul 5, 2022
Opps on the like phone is doing weird things today.

Anybody/Everybody will need more info beginning with your full system specs and what case you have it in.

Also include what you would prefer
Air cooler or Aio.
I don't have a system. I'm building it now. I already have the case though which is this (CoolerMaster Masterbox MB530P Gaming Midi Tower).

I also don't have a preference on air/aio. It's my first time building a pc. Which one do you think would be better? I'll be using the pc for editing and causal gaming.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does Noctua NH-D15 fit? Because the box says 165mm max and Noctua is exactly 165mm. Do you think I'm going to have a problem?
Too close on paper, IMO. When suggesting tower air coolers to others, I prefer to err 1mm lower than the specified clearance to be on the safe side.
Even if there's images online showing the D15 fitting in that case, the slightest machining error - be it in the cooler itself, the case, or the mobo - will be difference between whether you can close your side panel or not.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
do you plan on leaving it at stock settings? or removing limits and letting it go nuts?

makes a big difference as to what is needed.

i have a 5900x with only PBO enabled and limits in place. it stays plenty cool with a be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black

nothing fancy but it has no issues keeping it cool and i very often use all them threads :)

but obviously if you trying to break records with it, you'll need a bit more

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much everything. I will order it online. Do you think Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 is a good alternative? It's 163mm and has similar performance.
Aye. It has front fan memory clearance of 45-46(?)mm in its default position. The product page has an image of it sitting over G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 ram with a little space to spare, and that kit is 44mm tall.
If memory clearance with even taller ram is an issue, there's Scythe's FUMA 2 Rev B., which the front fan avoids the ram entirely. The NH-D15S does the same thing, but it does cost a bit more - especially the Chromax.

Reactions: Bill k.
Solution
Jul 5, 2022
I ordered g.skill ripjaws. I think it's 42mm.

TRENDING THREADS