[SOLVED] Cooling for a i5 13500 CPU, no added GPU

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I just bought an i5 13500 with a Tomahawk B760 MB.

I do not plan to add a GPU for some time and wondering what is the minimum I should be looking at to set up the PC.

Would fan coolers and no direct CPU cooler be okay for a non gaming PC? I think the 13500 has a stock cooler.

Regarding thermal paste. I believe it is now thermal grease? Or are they for different things entirely?

I would like to get the PC running and test it before adding extras. I have storage and will buy memory today.

Wondering if buying an extra cooler for the CPU is better than a better case with good cooling.

Thanks again for the help!

Solution
I'd use the stock cooler with the better case with good cooling.

Change from that only if you find the stock cooler too noisy or if temps are higher than you can stand. The stock cooler is designed for your scenario.

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks Lafong. Kind of confirmed what I was hoping. I want the PC running "bare bones" at the moment. Will add extra as needed.

Does type of thermal grease matter for my situation? I only heard about it few days ago, lol.

Edit: Gave you best answer already because there is no need for anything else.

I wouldn't get highly concerned about the thermal paste. The commonly found brands are within a few degrees of each other.....within the margin of error.

I use Noctua, but I wouldn't have any qualms about Arctic brand or several others.

Pastes vary in tackiness, so some are easier to manage and clean than others. Not a big deal. Some similar to mayonnaise, others closer to peanut butter or jam. Clean up with Q tips and alcohol.

I'd be more concerned about mounting the stock Intel cooler correctly....you have to be sure all 4 corners are latched properly and that can be difficult to confirm. Best idea is to mount it with the motherboard out of the case so you can visually inspect the back side of the motherboard to confirm all 4 corners are locked in properly. If not, temps will be high.

I think good move on getting the better case with better cooling to start with as a foundation. It's easier to change coolers if unhappy with temps than it is to move everything to a new case.

Last edited: