[SOLVED] Cooling for my build

So I have the case and have transplanted my current system for now but the plan is to upgrade CPU, RAM, PSU, MB. Here is my proposed build and stuff that will be transfered over.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mYL3bh

The cpu will depend on what prices the ryzen new models come in at in Canada, price drops on 3000 series, etc. I will probably replace the 1650 super with something in the 2000 series in a few months, as 3000 series gpus are available, etc. Hence the choice for the MB. It has 3 PCIe slots, so I can add GPUs as the used market gets some cards. I use blender, which can use a mismatch of GPUs for rendering.

Where I coming here for, is cooling for case.and cpu. The case has 4 fan slots, 3x140mm, 1 on top, 2 on front, and a 120mm on the back.

My thinking is having a potential 3 gpus, or at least 2 at any given time, is to put 2x140mm fans (suggestions) in the front for intake and to get cool air across the GPUs. 1x140mm on top exhaust.

This leaves the rear 120mm spot and cpu cooler. I could do a AIO 120mm, that takes care of both my questions. Or a big evo style hunk of metal, 1 or 2 120mm fans on it in push pull, and 120mm exhaust out the back.

Other option would be a 140mm AIO on the top, if I have clearance. I've had issues before with that and had to buy a new case. I have the h510, so that is set. Then I could do a 120mm exhaust at the rear. I don't see a lot of 140mm AIO though, or they are expensive, so not a favor of this option.

I can't predict what gpus ill have, just depends on what comes available, but I got the quadro cheap so it will stay for a while. Its a blower single slot though so it could fit in the bottom card slot with no issue on the 3 slot motherboard I chose above.

Thanks.

Solution
You have a very good case for cooling.
The key to good cooling is to concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.
In time, whatever air comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
To that end, I suggest installing two 140mm front intakes.
140mm fans move more air quietly compared to 120mm fans.
Noctua makes some very good units that are efficient and quiet. You will pay a bit of a price premium for them.
This is called a positive pressure airflow.
The benefit is that since all of the intake is from one source and is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Use one of the included 120mm fans as an exhaust in the rear. Mainly to direct the airflow over the cpu cooler , graphics card and motherboard.
Adding a...

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
thats a tricky setup to cool, the blower gpu will take care of itself if the front intake supplies the cool air to it but with multi gpu and different types of cooling you wouldnt want the others to be cut short of cool air you might want the back fan as exhaust as well as the back top fan to pull air upwards as well as back as you have stated at least thats what i would do or maybe get a case with fans on the bottom maybe as intake as well as front, as for the arctic freezer dont know how good they are but i was looking at them myself for a MATX build im making when i upgrade my cpu and gpu their are better air coolers out there but at more cost. i wouldnt go for a 120mm or 140mm AIO

You have a very good case for cooling.
The key to good cooling is to concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.
In time, whatever air comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
To that end, I suggest installing two 140mm front intakes.
140mm fans move more air quietly compared to 120mm fans.
Noctua makes some very good units that are efficient and quiet. You will pay a bit of a price premium for them.
This is called a positive pressure airflow.
The benefit is that since all of the intake is from one source and is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Use one of the included 120mm fans as an exhaust in the rear. Mainly to direct the airflow over the cpu cooler , graphics card and motherboard.
Adding a second 120mm top exhaust might seem like a good idea, but such will tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.

Your processor is not overly hot.
I would try the stock 3600 cooler.
It is likely to be sufficient for the job.
A 120 aio is about the equivalent of a simple tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan.
I would not use one.
There are better tower type air coolers from noctua that are better and quieter.

Solution

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
If geofelt say no you should listen to him I haven't built an air cooled PC in quite a while but i always used to have my intakes fans at higher RPM than exhausts to create positive pressure, as far as ive read the noctua NH d15 or the be quiet dark rock pro are the best but others might have better insight i did read it wrong and thought the fans were already installed in the slots sorry lol i also misread it as 3 140mm fans at top sorry again

Last edited:
Ya sorry its 4 fan slots total. 2x140mm front, 140mm top, 120mm back. I already have the case and now seeing how hard it is to find an amd board with a usb3.1 and 3.1c header for the case is a pain, and would get a different case but past me didn't think of that, so I'm stuck with what I'm stuck with.

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
yes it was my bad good sir i thought 5 140 fans were already installed all intake didnt really look at the components so switching the back top to exhaust and having the back as exhaust would create a convection air flow around the case and pushing cool air down and left then hot air up on the right and still give the cpu cooler plenty of air and keep pressure inside i didnt read it right very sorry bud. doesnt that motherboard have the headers it looks like they are on there the type c header just below the 24pin and the 3.1 at bottom or is that just 3.0

yes it was my bad good sir i thought 5 140 fans were already installed all intake didnt really look at the components so switching the back top to exhaust and having the back as exhaust would create a convection air flow around the case and pushing cool air down and left then hot air up on the right and still give the cpu cooler plenty of air and keep pressure inside i didnt read it right very sorry bud. doesnt that motherboard have the headers it looks like they are on there the type c header just below the 24pin and the 3.1 at bottom or is that just 3.0

Yes it does have the header. Just trying a board that does is tough, regardless of 2 or 3 pcie slots. Going back i would have gotten a different case but I'm stuck with, so now I'm building around the case. Lol.

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
ah i see yes the boards with the type c headers are usually the more high end expensive ones but that one looks ok 2 of the pcie slots have metal support shields for the gpus but added support is always good too. still a nice case to be stuck with though lol you could always go for cheaper MB and leave the type c socket unused most new MBs come with a type c at the back i think anyway or buy one of these and have the type c run at the slower speed https://www.amazon.co.uk/EZDIY-FAB-...603916682&sprefix=usb+c+header,aps,220&sr=8-4

Last edited: