Question Cooling help

Feb 25, 2023
Hey people!
I recently built my own PC, but the cooling doesn't seem to be sufficient.

Unfortunately, my CPU throttles under full load with multithreading.

My thoughts on this are that either the airflow is very bad (due to strange placement?) or the thermal paste is not doing its job properly.

A little information about my system.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070
RAM: 2x16GB DDR5

Case: Nzxt H7 Flow

6xFans: ARCTIC P12 - 120mm - Fan speed: 200-2000 rpm, Airflow: 48.8 CFM/82.91 m³/h, Static pressure: 1.85 mmH2O

1x fan that was included in the case

CPU Cooler: GLOTRENDS CPU Cooler for LGA1700 Intel 12 Generation Desktop Processor, 6 Heat Pipes, TDP 240W, 120mm PWM Fan

Thermal compound: A thermally conductive silicone grease supplied with CPU coolers

In the attached images we see:

Temperatures under full load from Cinebench

Temperatures 5 seconds after exiting the Cinebench test

The PC with the direction of airflow from all fans

My thought how the air will go?

Unfortunately I can't insert any pictures here, so links to dropbox (Only online until this thread is finished.)

Why is the CPU cooler facing the front?

Because the CPU cooler has 2 clips, a short one and a slightly longer one.

With the short clasp I unfortunately can't get down to where the CPU cooler is then hung, because there is a plastic part on the mainboard in the way, so I have to hang in the longer clasp and thus turn it towards the front.

If I had turned the CPU cooler so that it would blow upwards, it would use the warm air from the graphics card for "cooling", which would be nonsense in my eyes. If I were to get the cold air from above and shoot the warm direction towards the graphics card, that would also be complete nonsense.

My thoughts were:

1. New CPU cooler, which hopefully fits so that it blows towards the rear of the case.

2. Leave this CPU cooler as it is, new thermal paste (possibly not a good silicone grease) and before I apply the new paste, try and see if it is somehow possible to turn it around.

But before I do that, I wanted to ask here if that's really a good idea or if the CPU cooler blows towards the front panel is also okay.

What would you do?

LG

You using some off brand cooler that you can find no test results or reviews for on the CPU that generates huge amounts of heat. There is no proof it can cool 240 watts and even then that is not even close to enough for a 13900k

The very best aircoolers you are likely going to thermal throttle that cpu. You will even have issues with huge 360 aio water coolers on a 13900k.

The cpu chip is designed to keep increasing clock rate until it hits a thermal limit. To get the most out of that cpu you need really cooling...not even average cooling but the best you can possibly find.

You can artificially set the maximum voltage and clocks etc but then you are basically wasting your money you spent on a high end cpu when you could have just purchased lower end one.

This is where trying to be cheap on the cooler is not a option

Reactions: Phaaze88
Its not really false there is no agreed way they measure stuff like this so all the vendors pretty much make up what they want. You can not even compare intel to amd TDP numbers directly.

The 13900k will actually pull much more than 253 watts, you can see almost 300 in some configurations. But even the 253 watts is way over what your cooler is saying it can do. There are many brand name coolers of similar size and fan configuation as yours that have been tested and can not do 240watts.

You actually need far more cooling because you are never going to get 100% efficiency on the mount between the cpu and the cooler even if you have actual test numbers.

A 13900k is massively harder than any other current cpu to keep the heat under control. If you were using even a 13900 (non k) your cooler might have a chance with your cooler but who know what it really is. The company that makes it manufactures make lots of random stuff that ships directly from china. They are not actually a cooler company.

Thank you very much, i bought a Noctua NH-D15 and a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste!
The supplied noctua paste is very good; I would use it.
Check the ram clearances of the NH-D15:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
If your ram is taller than 32mm, you will have to move the front fan up.

With all threads busy, you will still hit 100c. and throttle, but that will happen at a higher performance level.

Here is an instructive article on how that all works:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

I would change the rear fan to exhaust. The objective is to help get heat out of the case asap.

Feb 25, 2023
The fan on the back blows into the inside of the case because otherwise it would take the air away from the cpu cooler,

Thank you for sharing this article!
But is this a good idea from Intel? Because that would shorten the lifetime of the CPU if it always has to throttle itself or not? Or does Intel want to push the market with it so that better cooling technology appears

Intel is simply trying to give you the best performance it can when demanded and consistent with the cooling capability of your system. Their design/testing is well aware of the 100c. point.

You really do want the rear fan to exhaust. The objective is to get heat OUT of the system ASAP.
Reversing the rear fan to exhaust is an easy test to do.
See what difference it makes.

Feb 25, 2023
I will set my fans like this:
Idea.png

and would be the green arrow a good idea? or would it be bad because it will suck the hot air next to him?

Feb 25, 2023
I haven't changed it yet because I want to do that when the new CPU cooler is here.

Currently I have temperatures between 29°C - 50°C (when working with Unity)

There is no problem if only 1 core works (single core)

But on multicore (playing a game with friends and being server and client, or games that support multithreading the cpu gets really hot) I haven't had performance issues while gaming so far, but being at tjmax temp isn't the best for the cpu life i guess