[SOLVED] Cooling improvements with the Alienware Alpha R2

calster804

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
So I've got the Alienware alpha R2 with the 960 and as is probably obvious it gets kinda hot. Sticks around 83C with the fans being annoyingly loud so I was wondering if there's any way to improve the cooling. I've already re-pasted both the CPU and GPU with Arctic MX4 and I oiled the fans, but apart from that is there anything else that can be done? Liquid metal cooling could help but that's a little bit sketchy and I'm nervous about it because if I break this system then I am effectively screwed. Anyone got any ideas?

Solution
Basically a laptop in a box. Not sure what to tell you. Liquid metal is an option, but it comes with risks of shorting something out and degrading the cooler (depending on what the contact surface is made of).

MX-4 is a decent paste, but not the best. You could also consider replacing any thermal pads with high quality ones.

Strip it out of the chassis and run open air. Put larger coolers on it would be extreme solutions.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Basically a laptop in a box. Not sure what to tell you. Liquid metal is an option, but it comes with risks of shorting something out and degrading the cooler (depending on what the contact surface is made of).

MX-4 is a decent paste, but not the best. You could also consider replacing any thermal pads with high quality ones.

Strip it out of the chassis and run open air. Put larger coolers on it would be extreme solutions.

Solution