Question Cooling in the Fractal Pop Mini Air vs the ASUS Prime AP201 ?

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
So I'm in love with SFF bordering on MFF cases.

My current build is an NR200, however, I'm looking to upgrade in the coming months to an AM5 chip mobo w/ 7800x3d, likely changing to an mATX board as I can't find any decently priced ITX boards with AM5 that aren't a bit out of what I'm willing to spend.
I recently also acquired a Sapphire Nitro+ 7800XT, and due to the absolute monolithic size of it, I now have no bottom case fans in the NR200.

So looking to revamp my pc completely including new case, but unsure if I should go for the Fractal Pop Mini Air with front intake and exhausting to top/rear, or ASUS Prime AP201 with intake on bottom and exhausting top/rear.

I guess I'm possibly overthinking it, but I feel like as much as I like the Fractal a tiny bit more, is it not counterintuitive to have air being pulled in through the front but then being sucked away by top exhaust fans essentially immediately (as per my bad MS Paint diagram)? Just concerned not enough air would make it to below the GPU to really help it cool effectively.
xYTNm6D.jpeg

Then with the ASUS Prime AP201, my overthinking brain is worried about the absolute unit of a GPU sitting in the way of any airflow from the bottom intake on the case. As my GPU is triple slot, I'm also wondering whether having bottom case fans would even be beneficial as from the picture at least it would seem like there's barely any room for bottom case fans with such a large GPU. I'd be using Noctua NF-A12x25 so thinking I'd get their 5mm case spacers to try reduce that turbulence, but then it seems like to would be right against the GPU fans anyway?
dzRWYte.jpeg

Then I've seen photos of the Prime in configurations that omit bottom fans with a big GPU, and then I've seen slim bottom case fans added instead.

Is there a general consensus on this kinda thing? Is the Prime just better as its ALL mesh so air passively comes in from everywhere?

I'm really just overthinking this to the extreme at this point I think.

Lutfij

Titan
If you look through the manual for the Fractal case;
https://www.fractal-design.com/app/uploads/2023/02/Pop-Mini-Manual-V2.pdf
there's only provision for 2 fans at the top, which leads me to think where you're seeing the mounting location for a 3rd fan in that case.

I don't like the Asus design since you are going to recycle some heat from the PSU into the case.

I like Fractal's layouts and designs to which I would sway to the Pop Air Mini. You can have 2x120mm fans at the front, as intake, two 120mm fans into the top set to exhaust and a rear 120mm fan set to exhaust. If you're interested in keeping the case air cooled and not with an AIO.

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Ah sorry you’re right, I think I was looking at too many pictures of these two cases and mixed up the ASUS top mounts with the Fractal.

You don’t think the fact that the GPU is so large it’s an issue getting air to enter via the three fans facing the bottom of the case? Especially if it’s close to the lower shroud.
I suppose I can modify or remove the lower shroud if it’s an issue, and yep definitely keen on air cooling the whole pc, so hopefully it will all play nice and have enough airflow for the 7800xt and everything else that’ll be in there

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Then, the fans on the 7800XT are just for show - that they can't fulfill that role at all?
You've tried using the gpu in the current case, and observed the results?
In the NR200 it has a mesh base so when I use to have two bottom case fans for intake, they are now removed and the GPU takes up the whole space so works as I suppose some form of intake for my case

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Exactly. So not much has changed; you still have a functional bottom intake.
If you still want to change cases as a refresher, that's still your call.
The fractal has a sheath across the bottom I believe and I’m concerned about how well it will cool the gpu with the tri fans being so close to just solid material, so not really the same imo

Just don’t want to suffocate the graphics card

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The fractal has a sheath across the bottom I believe and I’m concerned about how well it will cool the gpu with the tri fans being so close to just solid material, so not really the same imo

Just don’t want to suffocate the graphics card
Without a review of the case from someone, this is speculation, and speculation goes nowhere.
Fortunately, there is one floating around.
Written review:

Video form:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWa-Lz-j9w

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks! That is actually a really good review, and he does talk about the potential issues for air diversion away from the GPU.

As everyone seems to say the 7800x3d is extremely efficient, I'm now considering maybe doing a 240mm AIO in the top then, as perhaps using two fans on a rad would hopefully make less impact than a twin fan tower cooler + the exhaust fan at the back.

I've decided to definitely go with the Fractal case, so will be able to look closer at it when I've got it, but I wonder how hard it will be to cut the bottom magnetic panel of the case and use some small noctua fans to get some airflow in the bottom there, seems like a lot of dead space that could be better utilised for some lower area airflow to reach the GPU (maybe needing more modification to the shroud), especially if not using all that space for an OOD or more HDDs.

Some food for thought at least, but maybe this week ill get it and transplant my current ITX setup in and see how it goes.