Question Cooling issue?

simonbakhshnia

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
Hey all,

I recently switched from an Noctua cpu cooler to a Corsair H150I cpu cooler. After this upgrade my pc fans have been super loud while gaming.

This is how it is setup.
Corsair 4000x case.
CPU cooler radiator mounted on the front with the three fans pushing out. (while gaming the fans run at roughly 2200 RPM) (The pump is roughly at 2600 RPM)
Two fans on the top pushing air in. (while gaming the fans run at roughly 1600-1800 RPM)
One fan on the back pulling air out. (while gaming the fan run at roughly 1600-1800 RPM)
GPU is a 2080ti. (while gaming the fans run at roughly 3000 RPM)

Maybe it is normal for the fans to be this loud. But I never really experienced this before. However, before switching to this new setup my PC would exhaust really hot heat.

The PC exhausting hot air is a good thing, it means the heat isnt sitting in your system.
As its set now, you lack enough air coming into the case, and you are fighting natural convection.
Half of your cool air is immediately pulled out the rear fan.
From there, the remaining half is heated by the GPU, then ran through the radiator.

Personally, if your radiator has to be mounted in the front, it should be set as an intake setup, with the top 2 and rear fans as exhaust.
Corsair AIO coolers are known to run loud as well.

simonbakhshnia

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
The PC exhausting hot air is a good thing, it means the heat isnt sitting in your system.
As its set now, you lack enough air coming into the case, and you are fighting natural convection.
Half of your cool air is immediately pulled out the rear fan.
From there, the remaining half is heated by the GPU, then ran through the radiator.

Personally, if your radiator has to be mounted in the front, it should be set as an intake setup, with the top 2 and rear fans as exhaust.
Corsair AIO coolers are known to run loud as well.
Interesting, so would it be fine to push air out on the front and pull in from the back and top?

simonbakhshnia

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
That would be better, but still not ideal.
Hot air wants to rise, and your GPU takes air in from the bottom and moves it upwards. As it stands right now your GPU is starved for air, as the cool air never makes it to the intake side of its fans.
I adjusted the fans as you suggested, my GPU gets to about 76 C when gaming. It was getting to 82 C before. Is that still too high?

Corsair 4000x case.
CPU cooler radiator mounted on the front with the three fans pushing out. (while gaming the fans run at roughly 2200 RPM)
Two fans on the top pushing air in. (while gaming the fans run at roughly 1600-1800 RPM)
One fan on the back pulling air out. (while gaming the fan run at roughly 1600-1800 RPM)

Maybe it is normal for the fans to be this loud. But I never really experienced this before. However, before switching to this new setup my PC would exhaust really hot heat.
one good option with these series of Corsair coolers is to replace the fans with quieter + higher air pressure versions.
while the included fans are adequate in most scenarios they are louder and offer a bit less air pressure than some of better options out there.

with this case i would be aiming for
either 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm nicer high airflow / low dB front intakes,
1x 120mm very nice rear exhaust,
and having the radiator with some nicer fans exhausting through the ceiling.

i've used a few varieties of Corsair, Cryorig, Thermaltake, Phanteks, Cooler Master, Noctua, be quiet! and countless other generic or manufacturer provided fans over the years.
the best i've found are the
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 & 4,
Noctua iPPC,
and the Cryorig QF series.
if you're really interested in quiet operation with the best cooling available i would definitely be changing out the included Corsair sets for the case and the AIO.

Last edited by a moderator:

simonbakhshnia

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
one good option with these series of Corsair coolers is to replace the fans with quieter + higher air pressure versions.
while the included fans are adequate in most scenarios they are louder and offer a bit less air pressure than some of better options out there.

with this case i would be aiming for
either 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm nicer high airflow / low dB front intakes,
1x 120mm very nice rear exhaust,
and having the radiator with some nicer fans exhausting through the ceiling.

i've used a few varieties of Corsair, Cryorig, Thermaltake, Phanteks, Cooler Master, Noctua, be quiet! and countless other generic or manufacturer provided fans over the years.
the best i've found are the
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 & 4,
Noctua iPPC,
and the Cryorig QF series.
if you're really interested in quiet operation with the best cooling available i would definitely be changing out the included Corsair sets for the case and the AIO.
I literally just purchased this cooler. Should I return it?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I just check Icue and it shows three temps for my GPU. Temp1: 80c Temp 2: 94c Temp3: 98C
Is this a normal thing? Or is my GPU acting up?

Thats too high.

Nvidia GPUs you want to keep below 73c or it limits boot clocks.

You're not gonna break it but you are limiting performance and its not good in the long term.

Use MSI Afterburner to confirm GPU temps