[SOLVED] Cooling issues with Hyper 212 Evo

silentstorm161

Reputable
Feb 14, 2017
Just installed a new CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo) and two new case fans and my temperatures are in the 60s. This is the same temperature I was getting with AMD wraith cooler and 1 fan in the back.
All the fans I set to quiet mode in the bios but due to the temperature they are staying on 100% and not slowing down.
Any suggestions as to why this is?

Solution
Hyper212 evo = 140w.
Wraith Prism = 130w.

To a cpu there's very little to no thermal difference, so temps will be somewhat equitable. The biggest difference is noise. The amd uses a 92mm? fan and the hyper212 uses a 120mm fan. By default the 92mm will spin somewhat faster than the 120mm and as a result be somewhat louder.

But capacity isn't everything, efficiency plays a major role. The Hyper212 line is very mediocre in efficiency, so gets very mediocre cooling per rpm. A Noctua NH-U12S or beQuiet DarkRock slim are more efficient, so have better cooling per rpm for the same capacity. That = lower temps.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. The NH-D15 is about as big as it gets and has a 250w+ capacity, but the NH-U12S is more...

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
  1. check to make sure they are plugged in to the correct headers... and make sure you plugged the cpu fan in to the cpu fan header on the motherboard and not the case fan.
  2. I would check to see if the cooler is lose or too tight, as that can affect things. Could also be the amount of thermal paste you used.
Change the fans to auto if possible to see if that helps. I know with my old system it had the option to run quiet but once it passed the thermal threshold it defaults to 100% fan speed to cool the system

Lastly... the 212 evo is not a huge improvement over the stock cooler. Unless you are running push/pull fans the cooling is going to be very similar

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hyper212 evo = 140w.
Wraith Prism = 130w.

To a cpu there's very little to no thermal difference, so temps will be somewhat equitable. The biggest difference is noise. The amd uses a 92mm? fan and the hyper212 uses a 120mm fan. By default the 92mm will spin somewhat faster than the 120mm and as a result be somewhat louder.

But capacity isn't everything, efficiency plays a major role. The Hyper212 line is very mediocre in efficiency, so gets very mediocre cooling per rpm. A Noctua NH-U12S or beQuiet DarkRock slim are more efficient, so have better cooling per rpm for the same capacity. That = lower temps.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. The NH-D15 is about as big as it gets and has a 250w+ capacity, but the NH-U12S is more efficient, so actually gets better temps at under @ 120w. It's only when the smaller cooler is saturated by a big output cpu that the bigger cooler becomes more effective.

So choosing the Right cooler for your wants, needs, expectations is much more involved than just grabbing something that's well known because it's been around for 15 years and is somewhat cheap.

Apologies if the cooler didn't live upto your expectations, but honestly those expectations were based on perceived knowledge, not reality. The Arctic eSports Duo is in the same budget bracket, but has superior efficiency and will show that in temps.

Reactions: ZeroDollarBudget
Solution