Cooling my 8700K

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hi, just about to do another build with motherboard msi Z370-A-Pro and will be for the first time using a liquid cooler the (Cooler Master Liquid 240) to keep my 8700K cool, my question is how good is this cooler and is it reliable?

Solution

Push pull configs only lower the temps by a degree or 2. As long as air passes through the fins in a decent way adding more airflow will do...

A noctua nhd15 is better and cheaper but it's an aircooler. Then again a aircooler is pretty much good forever whilst a watercooler fails quite a bit quicker.

The masterliquid is ok but there are better watercoolers out there. Whats the price you are getting this for.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

about £45

That is extremely cheap. Are you sure it is a new one?

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

lol yeah sealed in the box BUT thinking about now may return item for the noctua 15 don't trust liquid coolers myself

Most have a pump failiure after 3 years so then you would have to replace it. You choose what you want to do.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Sorry my apologies it cost me £65 but still gonna send back for the noctua nhd 15

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Yet to have a pump failure since started using AIO liquid coolers. Oldest is 5yrs old?? and still going. Maybe I've talked it up now. Only used Corsair & Fractal Designs so can't comment on others reliability.

Be weary of those big air coolers if you're mounting it in a vertical case. I don't like all the extra strain it puts on the motherboard mounting points and will add some sort of support for it. You also need to be careful if you move your machine about. Try and do it with the cooler standing vertical to, again, reduce the strain on your mobo.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Yeah I have never had a problem with air-coolers in the past once built rarely move pc until an upgrade is wanted or required but thanks for the advice though

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Actually going to now go with the Arctic Red Freezer 33 eSports Push-Pull Intel/AMD CPU Cooler. has similar temps as the Cooler Master liquid 240 and has a good rating and is less height than the Noctua, if anyone has used this please let me know to how well it performs thanks.

For that money go for a cryorig h7 it's better than the freezer 33 and the same price.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Yeah I saw that and it is cheaper at moment BUT do like the push and pull 2 fan idea of the Freezer 33 esports edition which you would think would be just that bit cooler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpXZMqBPaLs

Push pull configs only lower the temps by a degree or 2. As long as air passes through the fins in a decent way adding more airflow will do little. THe cryorigs heatsink is far bigger and thus has a bigger dissapation area compared to the arctic. The only time push pull is favorible is when air would struggle to pass through something like a very dense and thick watercooling radiator.

Solution

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Ok i'll trust you on this I can always replace, just ordered the cryorig h7 thanks for the advice