Cooling my Corsair 270r

peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018
Hey everyone

I'm trying to air cool my corsair 270r case but I'm not looking to spend heaps of money. I've been told the two fans that come with it are not amazing and that I should remove them and buy 4 separate fans. I live in Australia which does unfortunately limit my access to certain products. I'd prefer to buy from my local store link here. Here's my build as well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $379.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Riing Silent 12 Pro Red 53 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $75.00)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $170.00)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $209.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $139.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card (Purchased For $569.00)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $85.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.00)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $329.00)
Total: $2054.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 10:15 AEDT+1100

Thanks

Solution
Ok, not a fan of Thermaltake, but that heatsink is capable enough for a 6/12 CPU according to Overclockers review so it should be fine. You just need to make sure and give it plenty of of fresh air to work with.

Based on what's available to you AND in trying to also keep the price as low as possible while ALSO getting high quality fans, I'd suggest putting two of these 140mm fans in the front as intake, another of the 140mm fans in the top rear location as exhaust and the Noctua 120mm fan in the rear location as exhaust. I promise you, with that configuration especially given the sheer amount of air those EVGA fans move, you will never, ever have a thermal problem that is due to case airflow.

In fact, you might even want to tailor...
Ok, not a fan of Thermaltake, but that heatsink is capable enough for a 6/12 CPU according to Overclockers review so it should be fine. You just need to make sure and give it plenty of of fresh air to work with.

Based on what's available to you AND in trying to also keep the price as low as possible while ALSO getting high quality fans, I'd suggest putting two of these 140mm fans in the front as intake, another of the 140mm fans in the top rear location as exhaust and the Noctua 120mm fan in the rear location as exhaust. I promise you, with that configuration especially given the sheer amount of air those EVGA fans move, you will never, ever have a thermal problem that is due to case airflow.

In fact, you might even want to tailor your fan profile in the bios for the three EVGA fans so that they max out at about 1800RPM rather than 2200rpm, but that is something you can play around with to find the sweet spot. Technically I'd like to see three 140mm Noctua NF-A14 chromax.black.swap or iPPC industrial 2000rpm fans rather than the EVGA fans, but they are a lot more expensive than the EVGA fans and the EVGA fans move a heck of a lot of air. Certainly there are other options if those fans are not agreeable to you, but they'll cost more and they won't be as likely to move as much air.

Those are not particularly quiet fans though, so at full load unless you tailor your fan curve they will definitely be noticeable.

If you want a good balance of quiet AND high CFM, you're going to have to pay a bit more and I'll be glad to revise the recommendation in that case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120mm Fan ($34.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case Fan: EVGA - 400-HY-FX13-KR 113.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.35 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $80.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 13:26 AEDT+1100

Solution

peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018

So with the thermal take cooler, you reckon 5ghz is achievable or should I aim for something lower?

Thanks for the fan recommendations. I don't really mind about noise bc I will have earphones in the whole time so I think i will just go with what you've recommended there. What should I do with the fans that came with the case and is it hard to remove/replace them?

5Ghz on a six core part with a stock base clock of 3.6Ghz might be asking a bit much, even if you used a large AIO or custom loop, if it's a daily driver.

I'd shoot for, and stick to, a max of about 4.7Ghz. That extra 300mhz isn't going to bring you a lot more performance anyhow and it's going to seriously advance the rate at which the CPU and motherboard degrade electrically.

It's not hard to remove them. They are likely either installed using rubber screws that just pull out, or actual screws that you simply unscrew. I'd suggest you might keep the stock fans in case they could be used in another system or simply see if you can sell them. In your country you could probably get 10 bucks each for them since they'll be brand new.

peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018

OK thanks so much for all your help man. Really appreciate it