Question Cooling problem on ASUS TUF Gaming F15 ?

May 24, 2022
ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH

• Windows 11 Pro 21H2
  • Intel Core i5-10300H
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 + Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 1.20V
  • Micron 2210_MTFDHBA512QFD 512GB M.2. NVMe SSD
My ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH laptop which I have been using for 1 year, has a cooling problem. 2 days ago I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fans. But temperatures are still higher. In Hitman 3, the CPU goes up to 90-95 degrees and the GPU goes up to 75-80 degrees. As for Undervoltage, Undervoltage was locked, I opened the lock. My voltages are:

• CPU Core: -140mV
  • CPU Cache: -105mV
  • Intel GPU: -50mV
  • iGPU Unslice: -50mV
  • System Agent: -70mV
What can I do as curve settings via MSI Afterburner? What should my UV settings be? I get an error when I open TS Bench on CPU Core/Cache above -120mV. These are the highest values where I don't get any errors. Fan speed/performance setting is in Turbo mode via ASUS Armory Crate. This mod overclocks +120MHz cpu clock and +100MHz memory clock. When I get them back, the values are still the same. The cooling design of the laptop is extremely bad. The computer does not get air from the bottom, 1/10 of the hexagonal honeycomb designs at the bottom are open. Below is a video showing this part. What can I do to tweak the cooling? The device's limited warranty expires in 2023.

My default curve values:

https://i.hizliresim.com/o3bcs83.jpg

Those temps are pretty normal for a laptop under high load. If it does not crash you are fine. There are not many laptops that are great for gaming, they are more of a last resort for gaming when you have no other choice but need a portable system. You can buy another model, my new MSI laptop I bring on work trips runs cooler and quieter than the ASUS TUF I owned for a couple of years.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH

• Windows 11 Pro 21H2
  • Intel Core i5-10300H
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 + Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 1.20V
  • Micron 2210_MTFDHBA512QFD 512GB M.2. NVMe SSD
My ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH laptop which I have been using for 1 year, has a cooling problem. 2 days ago I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fans. But temperatures are still higher. In Hitman 3, the CPU goes up to 90-95 degrees and the GPU goes up to 75-80 degrees. As for Undervoltage, Undervoltage was locked, I opened the lock. My voltages are:

• CPU Core: -140mV
  • CPU Cache: -105mV
  • Intel GPU: -50mV
  • iGPU Unslice: -50mV
  • System Agent: -70mV
What can I do as curve settings via MSI Afterburner? What should my UV settings be? I get an error when I open TS Bench on CPU Core/Cache above -120mV. These are the highest values where I don't get any errors. Fan speed/performance setting is in Turbo mode via ASUS Armory Crate. This mod overclocks +120MHz cpu clock and +100MHz memory clock. When I get them back, the values are still the same. The cooling design of the laptop is extremely bad. The computer does not get air from the bottom, 1/10 of the hexagonal honeycomb designs at the bottom are open. Below is a video showing this part. What can I do to tweak the cooling? The device's limited warranty expires in 2023.

My default curve values:

https://i.hizliresim.com/o3bcs83.jpg

You don't need to have Intel GPU/iGPU Unslice/System Agent undervolted. it doesn't do very much by way of reducing temps, and can introduce instability.

The key thing here, is, is your CPU throttling at the high temps? If the CPU is hitting its rated speeds, then 90-95c is fine, as they are designed to run at those temps. However, it the CPU is throttling, then you need to figure what is causing it. Try running TS Bench with limit reasons shown, and run something like cinebench along side it. If you are throttling, you will see either PL1/PL2 or EDP other going red. This means it's throttling. If they are yellow, they are okay.

Edit: Also, what thermal paste did you use?

Last edited:
May 24, 2022
You don't need to have Intel GPU/iGPU Unslice/System Agent undervolted. it doesn't do very much by way of reducing temps, and can introduce instability.

The key thing here, is, is your CPU throttling at the high temps? If the CPU is hitting its rated speeds, then 90-95c is fine, as they are designed to run at those temps. However, it the CPU is throttling, then you need to figure what is causing it. Try running TS Bench with limit reasons shown, and run something like cinebench along side it. If you are throttling, you will see either PL1/PL2 or EDP other going red. This means it's throttling. If they are yellow, they are okay.

Edit: Also, what thermal paste did you use?
I will be use Cooler Master MasterGel Maker thermal paste. My processor is throttling. Frequency 3.50GHz but turbo frequency 4.50GHz.