[SOLVED] Cooling recommendations for Dell XPS 8930

Feb 7, 2020
Hello all, I'm looking to add additional cooling for my Dell XPS 8930. Normally I build my own PCs but I received this as a gift and, since it was better than what I had, I'm using it as my primary gaming PC until I can afford to build a new one. The CPU/GPU temps tend to hover in the yellow while I'm playing certain games so I was hoping to add some additional cooling but there's not a lot of room in the case so I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for cooling in a cramped machine. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Are temps better if you run with the side panel off?

If yes - adding extra fan(s) will help

If no - you need to improve the coolers on your actual CPU and GPU. That should start with new thermal paste. If that doesn't work, you may need to look into heatsink replacements.

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
What's the actual CPU and GPU temps under load?
"In the yellow" is VERY subjective.
Depending on what "in the yellow" means it shouldn't be of too much concern.

If you are adamant about improving your cooling performance, there are a few options you have.

One of the easiest ways to improve cooling in a case with no room for more fans is to make sure they are all pointing in the right direction. While the "right" direction is a little subjective, its good to balance intake and outtake, however a little bit higher on the intake can also help too with a little added pressure.

another option you have is to upgrade your fans. While not typically something someone thinks to upgrade, prebuilts don't always have the best fans pre installed are not very good. This doesn't mean all prebuilt's fans are bad, but something to look into.

lastly I'd agree with tennis2 and say add your own opening for fans if you are able to power it properly.

Feb 7, 2020
Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I say "in the yellow" I'm talking about CPU temps in the low to mid 80's and GPU temps in the low to mid 90s (Both temps Celsius). When it gets in the higher temps, the fans start working extremely hard and the computer sounds like it's ready to take off!

Thanks for the tips G_Sanderat. I'll keep it in mind!

Are temps better if you run with the side panel off?

If yes - adding extra fan(s) will help

If no - you need to improve the coolers on your actual CPU and GPU. That should start with new thermal paste. If that doesn't work, you may need to look into heatsink replacements.

Solution