[SOLVED] Cooling setup upgrade -correct fan installation - motherboard connectors - number of fans on each connector -safe limit-install options -Long post.

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Hi guys this summer im gonna upgrade my Cooling setup
I have a carbide spec 01 case and a x470 prime pro Motherboard.
(rest of the system r5 2600x , rx 580 nitro+ ,16gb 3200 c14, 1tb SSd, 2tb Sshd,550w psu)

Because of slot/case Limitations ,I decided to buy
4 case fans bionix P120/140 2 exhaust – 2 intake 2 intake Typical Voltage of each fan: 0.15A / 12 V DC - PWM control signal 4-pin connector + 4-pin socket.
and the Asus ROG Strix LC 120 (my first AIO) – damn asus u sure are expensive.

Case slots Location
Back exhaust- Asus ROG Strix LC 120
Top exhaust – 2 Bionix P120 fans - 0.15A / 12 V DC 4-pin connector + 4-pin socket PWM
Front intake - 2 Bionix P140 fans - 0.15A / 12 V DC 4-pin connector + 4-pin socket PWM
My case Have 5 fans slots and Radiator Compatibility 120mm
also is compatible with H55, H60, H75, H80i corsair AIO so my asus AIO I dont think is gonna be a problem it’s a single fan radiator after all (correct me if im wrong)

My motherboards connector :
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin) - 1A/12W/Q-Fan Controlled/Shared Control
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin) - 1A/12W/Q-Fan Controlled/Shared Control
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin) - 1A/12W/Q-Fan Controlled
1 x AIO_PUMP connector (1 x 4 -pin) - 1A/12W/ Full Speed
1 x W_PUMP+ connector (1 x 4 -pin) - 3A/36W/ Full Speed

So my First question and one of the reason I made this long post
Does that 3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin) mean that the 3 chassis fan connector of my motherboard can take 2 fans each?
1 fan = 4 pin
2 fans = 2 x4 -pin with splitter right?

My Second question
IF my reasoning in the first question is correct that means I can connect my 4 case fans
on 2 chassis fan connector safely? 2x120 exhaust together with spliter on a chassis fan connector and 2x140 intake together with spliter on chassis fan another connector ?

And my Third question
Assuming that everything I said Is correct I have 3 installs option which do u think is the best one?

Option 1 (I like this option the best)
Install the AIO on the back
connect the AIO on the AIO_PUMP connector
AIO fan on the CPU Fan connector
2x 120 Top exhaust fans together with spliter on the nearest Chassis Fan connector (near the top side of the rams)
2 x140 Front intake fans together with spliter on the nearest Chassis Fan connector (bottom of the motherboard)
Leave the last chassis fan connector empty (near the back) and the water pump connector empty (at the bottom)

Option 2
AIO fan on the CPU Fan connector
1x 120 Top exhaust fan on the Chassis Fan connector (near the back)\
1x120 Top exhaust fan (on the CPU OPT Fan connector)
1x140 Front intake fan on the Chassis Fan (near the top side of the rams)
1x140 Front intake fan on the Chassis Fan (bottom of the motherboard)

Option 3
2x 120 Top exhaust fans together with spliter on the Chassis Fan connector (near the back)
1x140 Front intake fan on the Chassis Fan (near the top side of the rams)
1x140 Front intake fan on the Chassis Fan (bottom of the motherboard)

Last question
If I install the option 1 then on the bios im gonna see :
1- pump connector information
2- x1 cpu fan connector information
3- 1 chassis fan connector information ((and that information is for 2 fans the same right?)
4- 2 chassis fan connector information (and that information is for 2 fans the same right?)

PS. I have my Pc 2 years now and I have 6 fans on it right now 5 case and 1 cpu fan
I have connected them on all my connectors (except the CPU OPT Fan connector) and
although 2 of my fans working 100% all the time from day one , I don’t have any problems with the cooling. the only minus is the noise and the bios information ( i see the pump and water information on bios in place of my 2 fans).

Edit some typos.

Last edited:
Solution
Because each fan-connector can provide 1 A and your fans only have 0.15 A, you can safely connect with splitter 3 fans to 1 fanheader.

AIO fan to CPU-Fan-header, AIO-pump to AIO-PUMP header.