Question Cooling solution for cpu

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Hi! I just finished building my pc, could anyone recommend me any good aios for my cpu?

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte Eagle Rtx 3060ti oc lhr rev 2.0
Gigabayte b550 gaming x

Thanks!

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
You need to first figure out the maximum size radiator that will fit in your case. Then its just a matter of selecting a model from one of the prominent companies, e.g. Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT, etc.
My case fits a 240mm on the top and 280/360mm in the front. But iam planning to get a new case eventually, just dont know when yet

Unless you are looking for a 360 aio, A top air cooler will cool equally well in a well ventilated case.
Think about it.
Liquid cooling is just air cooling but the difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
The radiator size of a 240 aio will be equal to that of a NH-D15.
A top air cooler will be quieter, more reliable, easier to install, and will last forever(aio do not). And... they will never leak.

Unless you are looking for a 360 aio, A top air cooler will cool equally well in a well ventilated case.
Think about it.
Liquid cooling is just air cooling but the difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
A top air cooler will be quieter, more reliable, easier to install, and will last forever(aio do not). And... they will never leak.
So true; I saved an article from another site where they compared approx. 70 coolers with various sizes and fan levels. At full load the top AIO measured only 3 degrees cooler than an NH-D15. Fan speed settings and case ventilation are more important than whether its water or air. (Full disclosure, I have an NH-D15 and the largest AIO I could get would be a 280mm since I prefer having an optical drive in my case).

But if anyone really feels they need an AIO, they should just get the largest that would fit in their case.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
could anyone recommend me any good aios for my cpu?
Do you actually want to AIO 5600x? Because that seems pretty expensive for 65W (max around 108W CPUwith my experience of removed PBO limits)/
Or you want to buy it with sight on future upgrade? Or for style?
Well... For 5600X most of them will be more than enough, anyways, so look more on quality and longetivity side, imo.

Reactions: jerry6

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Do you actually want to AIO 5600x? Because that seems pretty expensive for 65W (max around 108W CPUwith my experience of removed PBO limits)/
Or you want to buy it with sight on future upgrade? Or for style?
Well... For 5600X most of them will be more than enough, anyways, so look more on quality and longetivity side, imo.
Well, yes im definentaly planning to upgrade in the future to an more powerful cpu, and i also like aios for looks. And most aios i’ve been looking at cost around the same as top tier air coolers ,(like noctua nh d15)

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Think about it.
Unfortunately my case can’t fit a nh d15 in it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And most aios i’ve been looking at cost around the same as top tier air coolers ,(like noctua nh d15)
The price tag is deceptive. AIOs getcha in cost over time.
With an air cooler, you deal with fan replacements.
With an AIO, it's the fans, and the entire unit. Once the pump goes, or shows signs of failure, there's no salvaging it since the vast majority of AIOs aren't serviceable.
You throw the whole thing out, save for the working fans, and buy another cooler. Or, if you're rough enough with it to cause a leak, that can get pretty expensive too.

Returning to topic: you should figure out the new chassis if you're about to get a new one, then decide on the AIO. For example, the Liquid Freezer II has a thicker radiator that normal(38mm Vs 27-30mm), and runs into clearance issues in some chassis.
You are not missing much by way of good AIOs. Most of them are made between 2 companies(Asetek and Coolit, and even fewer are in-house designs.
As long as you pick a modern unit, you're pretty much golden... but avoid Msi Coreliquid R/RH/C/P. Those are some of the most unreliable AIOs I've heard of lately. Kraken M22 is down there too, but you're not looking for a 120mm AIO.

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
The price tag is deceptive. AIOs getcha in cost over time.
With an air cooler, you deal with fan replacements.
With an AIO, it's the fans, and the entire unit. Once the pump goes, or shows signs of failure, there's no salvaging it since the vast majority of AIOs aren't serviceable.
You throw the whole thing out, save for the working fans, and buy another cooler. Or, if you're rough enough with it to cause a leak, that can get pretty expensive too.

Returning to topic: you should figure out the new chassis if you're about to get a new one, then decide on the AIO. For example, the Liquid Freezer II has a thicker radiator that normal(38mm Vs 27-30mm), and runs into clearance issues in some chassis.
You are not missing much by way of good AIOs. Most of them are made between 2 companies(Asetek and Coolit, and even fewer are in-house designs.
As long as you pick a modern unit, you're pretty much golden... but avoid Msi Coreliquid R/RH/C/P. Those are some of the most unreliable AIOs I've heard of lately. Kraken M22 is down there too, but you're not looking for a 120mm AIO.
Actually, its a bit more complicated with that, I forgot to mention that i got the pc as a prebuilt because my only other option was to get a 1660 super for 700€ and i decided to go with a prebuilt instead, so i cant really switch the case because that will end the warranty im pretty sure, but back to the topic, i have been looking at the corsair h100i and coolermaster ml240l from liquid coolers, i’ve heard that arctic’s liquid coolers are indeed very well performing, but yes unfortunately it wont fit in my current case, should i consider getting an air cooler instead?

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Are you largely indifferent to noise?

Is price a factor?

Is maintenance effort a factor?

Do you enjoy fiddling with hardware or do you merely endure it?

Is it important to you that temps are X rather than X plus 5 or 10 degrees?

Are you dedicated to overclocking?
Well i'am quite used to my pc being loud now so i don't care so much.

Maintenance is not a problem for me.

I do like to fiddle with hardware

As long as the difference won't be much over 5 degrees it's not a problem

Yes, I'am planning to overclock sometime soon.

What should i look for when choosing?
THE best question.

Figure out what is most important to you.
What is your objective?
How important is your budget?

Consider that the 5600X comes with an adequate stock cooler.

What would be your objective in overclocking?
With modern processsors you no longer can get something for nothing via overclocking.
Chips are binned and the better ones go in more expensive models. The new turbo mechanism's now can boost a few cores past possible OC levels.

Can you describe your case?
It makes a difference for either aio or air mount.

Are you now having a heat issue that needs to be fixed?

Do you value RGB bling?

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
THE best question.

Figure out what is most important to you.
What is your objective?
How important is your budget?

Consider that the 5600X comes with an adequate stock cooler.

What would be your objective in overclocking?
With modern processsors you no longer can get something for nothing via overclocking.
Chips are binned and the better ones go in more expensive models. The new turbo mechanism's now can boost a few cores past possible OC levels.

Can you describe your case?
It makes a difference for either aio or air mount.

Are you now having a heat issue that needs to be fixed?

Do you value RGB bling?
The budget stays somewhere between 50-140€
I’m not entirely sure about overclocking yet since im just starting to learn about it. I dont know if it’s considered an issue but right now my cpu reaches up to 75c when gaming, (my room temperature is pretty cold right now too, gets way hotter in summer). Wich part of the case do you want me to describe?
I do value RGB

My main objective is to cool my cpu better and also for my pc to look more aesthetic.

The budget stays somewhere between 50-140€
I’m not entirely sure about overclocking yet since im just starting to learn about it. I dont know if it’s considered an issue but right now my cpu reaches up to 75c when gaming, (my room temperature is pretty cold right now too, gets way hotter in summer). Wich part of the case do you want me to describe?
I do value RGB

My main objective is to cool my cpu better and also for my pc to look more aesthetic.
A case needs to supply sufficient fresh air intake to feed the cpu and gpu coolers.
I would think a case with two 120/140mm front intakes should do it.
When mounting a aio, consider where you can mount the radiator.
If you mount it in front, the cpu will be cooled best, but the graphics card and motherboard vrm coolers will use the heated air.
On the other hand, if you can mount the radiator on top, the cpu does not cool as well because the radiator is using heated case air.
Catch 22, pick your poison.

85c. would be fine while under stress test or gaming.
Expect your graphics card to run at 80c.
They are built to do so.
I do not think you have any sort of a cooling problem that needs fixing.
If you like rgb, why not buy some rgb light strips?

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
A case needs to supply sufficient fresh air intake to feed the cpu and gpu coolers.
I would think a case with two 120/140mm front intakes should do it.
When mounting a aio, consider where you can mount the radiator.
If you mount it in front, the cpu will be cooled best, but the graphics card and motherboard vrm coolers will use the heated air.
On the other hand, if you can mount the radiator on top, the cpu does not cool as well because the radiator is using heated case air.
Catch 22, pick your poison.

85c. would be fine while under stress test or gaming.
Expect your graphics card to run at 80c.
They are built to do so.
I do not think you have any sort of a cooling problem that needs fixing.
If you like rgb, why not buy some rgb light strips?
For me 85c or 80c wouldnt be fine, i would like if my temps would stay around 50-65 (maybe a little more) because it also increases my room temperature and the temperature around me and it s quite uncomfortable to play like this. My case has 3 intake fans,(im planning to switch out all the fans i have right now soon for some better fans) , and 1 exhaust fan, i also just simply dont like the look of stock cooler. Idk, i dont really like rgb strips.

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Your room will heat up the same, regardless of the cooler.
The heat that the cpu generates is dissipated into the room air.
And, if you overclock the cpu, you apply more voltage, increasing the heat generated.
There is no win for you there.
Well yeah, i guess you are right, but do you think i should upgrade something else first instead then?

Well yeah, i guess you are right, but do you think i should upgrade something else first instead then?
Sounds like you have some cash that you are itching to spend.
If you do not use a ssd for the C drive, that would be tops on my list.

What is the make/model of all of your parts?

I suspect that your case is not all you might want.
Here is a nice cm h500 case with 200mm rgb inputs:
https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-cooler-master-mastercase-h500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119350

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021

https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-cooler-master-mastercase-h500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119350
Well i have an m.2 NVMe drive so i it will do good

Also that case looks nice but i sadly cant change the case right now, as i mentioned that pc is actually a prebuilt and it will cut off the warranty if i change the case,

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021

But i was thinking about maybe new case fans or new ram?

My full specs are; Ryzez 5 5600x
Gigabyte eagle rtx 3060ti
Gigabyte b550 gaming x
Gigabyte 500gb m.2 nvme drive
gigabyte p850gm gold power supply (i know that these psus have been reporter exploding and failing, but that should be a newer one, , where they fixed the issue)

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021

TRENDING THREADS