Cooling solution for overclocking i7-4790K

MousE0910

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hello,

I'll be getting a new PC soon with i7-4790K CPU (and GTX 780 Ti, but that should be able to cool itself by its fans and the ones inside case). I plan on overclocking it eventually, at least to some degree and I'd like to know if NOCTUA NH-U14S fan will be enough for that or if I should get some watercooling solution? The 4790K "Devil's Canyon" has reportedly much better heat outputs than previous i7 generations, so that leads me to believe that air cooling should be sufficient enough, if the heatsink and fan are big enough (which they should be).

Thank you for help

Solution
Yes, the Noctua NH-U14S will be enough heatsink and fan to handle overclocking.

Please note that a number of factors can effect how well a cpu stays cool, like case airflow, dust, ambient temps, cabling, and case design. Choosing a case with plenty of venting, keeping it dust bunny free, high CFM case fans, and hiding/streamlining your cables when you do your build will help the heatsink keep the cpu cool even when oc'd.

Just out of curiosity, what case are you using or plan on getting?
Yes, the Noctua NH-U14S will be enough heatsink and fan to handle overclocking.

Please note that a number of factors can effect how well a cpu stays cool, like case airflow, dust, ambient temps, cabling, and case design. Choosing a case with plenty of venting, keeping it dust bunny free, high CFM case fans, and hiding/streamlining your cables when you do your build will help the heatsink keep the cpu cool even when oc'd.

Just out of curiosity, what case are you using or plan on getting?

Solution

Great case! Between the Noctua and the Case, you will be fine oc'ing!

Don't forget a quality thermal compund; I recommend the Noctua NT-H1 or the GELID Solutions GC-Extreme. Arctic Silver is overrated in my opinion and needs to be re-applied every now and then, I can attest from experience.

I have the Coolermaster HAF932 which also has a large side panel fan and I have oc'd my i7-920 to 4GHz any never worried about it overheating even when running 8 threads of Prime95 and all 8 cores at 100%.

Good luck! You're putting together a nice machine!

MousE0910

Reputable
May 22, 2014
I was writing in a hurry so I forgot to properly thank you for your answer. The Noctua NT-H1 compound is included with the fan, so I should be good to go. Unfortunately, some complications arose and I'll need to wait a few weeks more for my build. Oh well.