Cooling system for 4790K

Oct 30, 2018
Hi!
I'm trying to find an optimal solution that won't hit my budget. I have bought used 4790k, it's stable but i had to downgrade it to 3.8 ghz cuz it heating up to 100 with throttling 6% on the box cooler. Guess the paste dried up under the lid, i can delid it if it's necessary.
Looking for a cooling system around 40-50$. There is a problem where i live, the prices are a bit high for moderate components. I will not overclock it, there is no point on 5% increase of fps in games. I need to get no more that 70-75C with turboboost under maxload.
So what i have found and we have on the market.
LQ - I don't think it's a very good idea to install it, but i have it on the market and is there a point to get it if i'm not overclocking it and maybe won't delid cpu if the temp is gonna be normal with new cooler.
Deepcool MAELSTROM 120/240
Cooler Master Seidon 120.
gamemax iceberg 120/240
Id-cooling auroflow 120/240
CPU Fans
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400
DEEPCOOL LUCIFER K2
DEEPCOOL ICE BLADE PRO V2.0
SCYTHE KATANA 4
DEEPCOOL NEPTWIN, V2 - i think it's the best option, it's quite good and doesn't cost too much

Thermaright and Noctua are way too expensive for me.

Thank for help.

Solution
This is my list of favorite air coolers. It's definitely not all inclusive, and there are a good many coolers not on this list that probably should be, but these are my normal go to coolers. And yes, Phanteks does still make the TC14PE.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than...
That CPU never came with a box cooler, so if you are using a stock Intel cooler, it was NOT designed for the TDP of that processor.

What country are you in and where can you purchase from?

Of those coolers you listed, I think the Neptwin v2, Ice blade pro 2 and Id-cooling Aura flow are probably the best options but there might be other options available to you if you can order online.

Oct 30, 2018

Yes i know, It is temporary) there was no other available at the moment, and i came here looking for the best option i can buy.

I live in Kazakhstan, Almaty.
I can order from Russia and Computeruniverse but the price will be a bit high cuz of the delivery fee.
CU will charge 30 euro and from Russian around 1000 rubles which is 15 USD. So i can look for Russia but i thinks there is no big diffence between Neptwin and Thermalright true spirit 140.
I would buy phanteks ph-tc14pе but i think they don't make that one anymore. And Noctua or Ice hammer are way too expensive around 80-140 USD.

This is my list of favorite air coolers. It's definitely not all inclusive, and there are a good many coolers not on this list that probably should be, but these are my normal go to coolers. And yes, Phanteks does still make the TC14PE.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Noctua NH-U14S
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock pro (3 or 4)
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Solution
Oct 30, 2018
i have bought ice hammer ih-4800, i think it's the best option.
It is like Thermalright true spirit 140 but cheaper with better cooling.
I checked the tests and it can hold 4600 Mhz with 78 max under load.
ANd it wins around 3-4 degree, yes not much but the price difference around 15 USD.
Thermalright true spirit 140 Power version is better and the price is much higher.

TRENDING THREADS