[SOLVED] Cooling / temperatures

Sym166

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Hey, new guy on board,

Have a few questions.

Built up my new lets say gaming PC, but not too sure about some details.

----My PC (brand new, 1 week old):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
SSD: Corsair CSSD F480GBMP510 Force Series NVMe PCIe gen3 x 4 M.2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8gb 3200Mhz. They are set on slot 2 and 4 for best performance
GPU: Sapphire Radeon rx580 nitro+ 8gb DDR5
PSU: Seasonic 500W
MOBO: MSI x570 gaming wifi
Cooling: 2 case fans 120mm each + Arctic Freezer II 120 on PCU
Monitor: Samsung 27 inch Curved C27F591 connected with GPU by display port cable

!----Nothing is overclocked yet---!

So, lets get started. Temperatures. Can you guys tell me whats a good temperature for components? For now it looks like that:
-PCU - 26-30 C in idle or 50-51 on stress with fan on 40% (so far, tested on Metro 2033 and path of exile, almost max settings)
-GPU - 20-24 C idle and 50-65C in stress (depends on game, path of exile or metro 2033) with fan running on 40% maximum. I hate noise. I'd love to play some more demanding games with low temperatures if possible, like the witcher or new metro exodus.

Good temps or something is wrong? Looking for some guides or information about how to speed up my PCU AIO, because I heard it should run on 100%? Both, pump and fans but I dont know how to set the pump speed. In BIOS it says 0 RPM and I can set fans (now its about 75%). Anyway, is it safe to speed up my pump? I have only 1 fan over there, as in my PC description.

----Another question is...----

I am running CPUz program and it says my CPU runs at 4000mhz + but I havnt changed anything? No overlock here and it should be 3600Mhz ?. I experience stuttering on my system, even when I just browse some websites, there is some kind of delay or stuttering, dont know how to explain that but it doesnt run smoothly. Its not too bad in games actually, it happens once for 5 minutes maybe, for a seconds. Cant find the problem.

CPUz: RAM shows as 1603 frequency, so I guess its correct? It should shows like a half of my freq which is 3200. (a-xmp mode enabled in bios).
Some details about RAM in bios.
-tCL 16
-tRCDRD 18
-tRCDWR 18
-tRP 18
-tRAC 36

Voltage: 1,372V set on (auto). Is that possible to Overclock it without increasing voltage? Seems high for 3200mhz though

----Overclock----

If there is anyone who has the same PC as mine, or maybe same components and who can give me tips and tricks, how and how much to overclock my RAM, CPU and maybe GPU.
I am not worried about CPU, I think it runs great and its cool. I want to focus on my GPU. Maybe undervolting to decrease temps? Looking forward for some tips. I dont need extreme overclock, just my system to run smoothly and fix that stuttering.

----Last question is----

What is AMD Cool'n'Quiet option? In BIOS its enabled. Worth to keep it off or on? Dont know anything about this one.

Okay, I tried to provide as much details I could. Thanks in advance for any help, any guides, any links. Looking forward to hear from you guys :)

Last edited:
Solution
Can you guys tell me whats a good temperature for components?
80C is an accepted maximum for where your CPU and GPU load temps should be. As long as idle temps aren't more than around 50C, there really isn't anything to worry about.

Good temps or something is wrong? Looking for some guides or information about how to speed up my PCU AIO, because I heard it should run on 100%? Both, pump and fans but I dont know how to set the pump speed. In BIOS it says 0 RPM and I can set fans (now its about 75%). Anyway, is it safe to speed up my pump? I have only 1 fan over there, as in my PC description.
Actually really good temps. But I suggest testing with an actual stress test/benchmark, like unigine superposition or 3DMark...
Can you guys tell me whats a good temperature for components?
80C is an accepted maximum for where your CPU and GPU load temps should be. As long as idle temps aren't more than around 50C, there really isn't anything to worry about.

Actually really good temps. But I suggest testing with an actual stress test/benchmark, like unigine superposition or 3DMark Timespy for GPU, and Prime95 for CPU. I wouldn't suggest limiting your graphics card fan curve like that, but if the temps are fine, then go ahead. I don't think you can change pump speed, as it always goes at the same speed. Perfectly safe to speed up if you find a way though.

I am running CPUz program and it says my CPU runs at 4000mhz + but I havnt changed anything? No overlock here and it should be 3600Mhz ?.
That's boost clock. If the CPU knows there is enough thermal headroom and isn't drawing too much power, it will increase its clock speed. 3600Mhz is the base, and 4200Mhz is the peak single core opportunistic boost. Note that wording. If you run a load on all cores, the boost will go down to something like 3900Mhz since all the cores are generating heat instead of one.

I experience stuttering on my system, even when I just browse some websites, there is some kind of delay or stuttering, dont know how to explain that but it doesnt run smoothly. Its not too bad in games actually, it happens once for 5 minutes maybe, for a seconds. Cant find the problem.
Stuttering is an issue. Make sure your chipset drivers and bios are up to date, and ram is stable.

CPUz: RAM shows as 1603 frequency, so I guess its correct? It should shows like a half of my freq which is 3200. (a-xmp mode enabled in bios).
Software will show frequency as half what bios says. This is because it's Double Data Rate ram (DDR). The actual frequency is 1600Mhz, but the transfer speed is 3200MT/s, which is often called 3200Mhz. Everything is normal

Voltage: 1,372V set on (auto). Is that possible to Overclock it without increasing voltage? Seems high for 3200mhz though
RAM overclocking is indeed a thing, but it is very very tedious and you probably won't end up with low timings when overclocking with that same voltage. But 1.45V is still safe daily voltage for RAM, so increasing it is fine. Still, overclocking is a very tedious process for memory.

If there is anyone who has the same PC as mine, or maybe same components and who can give me tips and tricks, how and how much to overclock my RAM, CPU and maybe GPU.
I am not worried about CPU, I think it runs great and its cool. I want to focus on my GPU. Maybe undervolting to decrease temps? Looking forward for some tips. I dont need extreme overclock, just my system to run smoothly and fix that stuttering.
I run a 3700X and RTX 2070. CPU OC is not worth it. Ryzen 3rd gen just has trouble overclocking past its boost clock, making it not worth it if most of what you do is single threaded. There is a very strict voltage limit of 1.325V on this generation of ryzen. RAM overclocking generates more performance gains on ryzen, but how far you can overclock depends on the IC of your ram, which isn't very good judging by timings. The process itself is also extremely tedious. GPU overclocking is by far the simplest and easiest. But if anything overclocking ram and cpu is more likely to cause more stuttering than fix your current stuttering if you have an unstable OC.

One thing you can do on ryzen 3rd gen is enable PBO. That is, Precision Boost Overdrive. This is almost like automatic overclocking.
View: https://youtu.be/G7Z7bJJcCNY?t=860
Here's a good guide on how to enable the best settings for it (timestamped). It says gigabyte boards but it applies to all X570 boards, just not exactly the same bios layout.

What is AMD Cool'n'Quiet option? In BIOS its enabled. Worth to keep it off or on? Dont know anything about this one.
No idea on this one. I'd just leave it off.

Reactions: Sym166
Solution

Sym166

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Happy to hear I have good temps, so there is nothing to worry about. I will leave overclock for now

Ok, so. I have done some tests in benchmark and 3dmark basic edition

UserBenchmarks: Game 63%, Desk 106%, Work 84%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 91.6%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 59.1%
SSD: Corsair Force NVMe PCIe M.2 480GB - 202.2%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 87.7%
MBD: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37)

With GPU (I know its not top graphic card) and RAM memory, it was marked yellow with latency 71,9. I think my stuttering is somewhere in my RAM memory, especially when stutter comes, I have some kind of latency spike indeed, I can see that on the graph in game... You can of course click the link and check

+ Not sure where (benchmark or 3dmark), was saying my RAM was running at 3203 MHZ, so its 0,003 higher than it should be, so maybe thats the problem of stuttering?

Dont know how to post 3dmark scores, but...

Overall score: 4773

GPU test: 4519 score
-gpu1 - 30.55 fps
-gpu2 - 25.12fps

CPU test: 7009 score with 23.55 fps. At the start was super smooth with 59-60 fps but then it dropped.

Will do now system memory check ///// edit: Shows no problems...

Also, whats the best program to update my drivers? I read some where it is dangerous to update bios

Last edited:
Not sure where (benchmark or 3dmark), was saying my RAM was running at 3203 MHZ, so its 0,003 higher than it should be, so maybe thats the problem of stuttering?
that extra 3Mhz is due to BCLK not being exactly 100Mhz and it's completely fine.

For checking memory stability, get Memest86 on a flash drive, boot into it, and run all 11 tests for 4 runs. Then for testing CPU and RAM stability together, use prime95, large FFTs. Run it for 4-8 hours.

Also, whats the best program to update my drivers? I read some where it is dangerous to update bios
Download BIOS and chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer website. Updating bios is not inherently dangerous. It only screws up your computer if you turn it off mid flash or there is a power outage. The flash itself usually only takes 2 minutes at most, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky for the latter to occur.
I believe your board also has bios flashback, so if you do mess up, you can simply use that to recover bios.
For graphics drivers, I suggest Radeon Adrenaline Version 19.10.2 This is the latest stable version. Use DDU to uninstall old drivers.

Sym166

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Looks better browsing internet now, in games stutters once per 10 minutes so its not too bad. I havent done memtest yet but I will leave it for now. Maybe my New pc needs to warmup (lol). Thanks for everything guys, much appreciate

TRENDING THREADS