Question Cooling the 7980xe(delid) NH-D15 VS Custom Loop

Mar 2, 2019
Hello TH,

I am a filmmaker and vfx artist, working on my first custom PC build. Several of the programs I utilize are multi-thread and core intensive. Things may get HOT!

The crossroads I now face... cooling the 7980xe(delid) with a custom liquid loop or cooling with a Noctua D15!

What are your experiences with this CPU/Temps and remedies?

Thanks in advance,
Emily66

Mar 2, 2019
Custom cooling will get your the best results if done properly, it almost always does. But the D15 should be ok at stock speeds as the D15 is rated for 165 watts.
Thanks for the reply, Richiestang_78. I see that you are using the NH-D15! What’s your experience with it? What kind of processing do you do with your rig? Would you recommend it for someone that will be using multi-core programs for vfx and video editing (Nuke, Houdini, Avid MC, and other rendering programs).

Thanks Again,
Emily66

Thanks for the reply, Richiestang_78. I see that you are using the NH-D15! What’s your experience with it? What kind of processing do you do with your rig? Would you recommend it for someone that will be using multi-core programs for vfx and video editing (Nuke, Houdini, Avid MC, and other rendering programs).

Thanks Again,
Emily66

Dont compare a 7980XE 700W monster with a 7700K. I strongly advise you to go with a decent liquid cooling (either 360mm AIO or at least 360mm space of radiator for a custom loop). For AIO avoid nzxt, i only had problems and there are hundreds of complaints on forums that they are really bad. My problems (for my x41,x51 and x61) were that neither could maintain full speed at 100%, my fans would speed up and speed down constantly in a 2 seconds interval. Imagine some fans going up and down from 500 rpm to 2500rpm in a 2 seconds interval all the time, that was really annoying and this was with all 3 of them.

Reactions: EMILY66
Mar 2, 2019
Dont compare a 7980XE 700W

Thank you for the reply, Dragos Manea. I have been leaning toward doing a custom loop, but seeking all available options before I go for it.

Could you explain what you are saying about this being 700w monster? It's my understanding from Intel website that it operates at 165w when driven to stock turbo 4.4ghz. Do you mean 700w in a moderate overclock or are you experiencing this in a stock setting as well?

Thanks Again,
Emily66

Mar 2, 2019
700w is impossible; regardless of overclock. I'm not sure if that response was meant to be cheeky or was just incorrectly calculated.

Have you read through the watercooling sticky? (linked below in my sig line)

700w is impossible; regardless of overclock. I'm not sure if that response was meant to be cheeky or was just incorrectly calculated.

Have you read through the watercooling sticky? (linked below in my sig line)

I think Dragos Manea is talking about this Jayztwocents video -
View: https://youtu.be/GJ1M3Gubbi8

Thank you for this compilation of information, rubix_1011!
I currently in the middle of my first build...
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/video-editor-build-check.3456384/post-20962777

I'll be checking out your thread.

Thanks,
Emily66

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you mean what he's referring to on the power draw meter, that's for the 'entire PC', which he also states includes the monitor. This isn't the wattage being cooled by the cooler.

Cooler wattage applies ONLY to the CPU draw...none of the other components (hard drives, monitor, motherboard, memory, cooler, fans, lighting, graphics card) so again, this is incredibly misleading unless you understand what is being discussed.

Mar 2, 2019
If you mean what he's referring to on the power draw meter, that's for the 'entire PC', which he also states includes the monitor. This isn't the wattage being cooled by the cooler.

Cooler wattage applies ONLY to the CPU draw...none of the other components (hard drives, monitor, motherboard, memory, cooler, fans, lighting, graphics card) so again, this is incredibly misleading unless you understand what is being discussed.

Thank you, rubix_1011. I found it confusing too, but after a little fast forward rewind. I understood that he was talking about total consumption.

What do you recommend I do here for cooling this CPU?
*** Noctua D15 - AIO - Custom loop w/ 2x 560 Rad, dual d5 pumps?

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7980XE to be delidded
CPU Cooler: This is the Major Question????
Motherboard: Asus - WS X299 SAGE/10G SSI CEB LGA2066 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: 2x Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVME - M.2 Internal SSD
Storage: 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 4TB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition GAMING
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Caselabs STH10

I am a total newby, but trying to do the best I can for a workstation.
Thanks
Emily66

Yes that was a bit of exageration from me but it can reach 500-600W, for example gamer nexus which monitors the 12v EPS lines (which is exclusively for cpu) and reaches 550W at 4 Ghz. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review . The highest power draw is as expected in Prime95 which is 550W at 4 Ghz. As you can see in charts lower, the draw for blender at 4.5 Ghz is almost 500W.
From my experienced (i used D15, 240mm rad AIO and now custom loop) D15 compares with a 240mm AIO so a 360mm would be over D15 but nothing compares with sutom loop, so it is about how much money you want to spend. If you got a good budget then go for custom loop, the cooler you keep the cpu the longer it will last. Main degrading factor for electronic components is the heat.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Much of the cooling requirement focuses around whether you plan to overclock the delidded CPU (assuming so?) or just running stock speeds to take advantage of delidding?

If stock speeds - the NH-D15 is a very good choice, as is the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or a good 240 or 360 AIO. I found in my reviews that the Cooler Master ML240R and ML360R did seem to cool better than most others (at least right now). I have some new AIOs that I have not yet reviewed, but for now, those are my recommendations in that area.

If you're considering overclocking that CPU, I would agree on the custom loop or watercooling loop kit route. EKWB, Swiftech and Alphacool make some of the best user-friendly kits for new users and EK provides some of the most detailed intallation documentation and informative website information.