Cooling the inside of my TV stand...if possible and worth it.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
I notice that the inside of the entertainment stand with the doors closed (they will stay closed so you can't see the wire mess!) the cable box in particular makes it very very hot. The internet modem is also in there and I hear (and don't doubt) that heated up modems will make you internet a little slower on downloads.
The stand has 1 hole at the back for the cables to run to the TV, wall, and back. The cable box in particular I would like cooled more so it doesn't catch fire (I know it won't do that) I don't have or plan on having a PC anywhere in there, maybe my laptop though for storage at times.

The plan:
-I have a couple spare PC fans lying around that can be put to good use. I'm thinking 1 exhaust, and 1 intake, OR 2 exhaust's. Anywhere along the back, or, if possible, on the bottom so the wall isn't taking all the heat. (I haven't surveyed the whole table yet, I'm just coming up with this brilliant scheme now)

What I need to know/help with:
-What can these fans be hooked up too, to make them work
-What will I need to do to have them power on and off so they aren't running 24/7
-And most importantly...IS IT WORTH DOING?! (Again, thought this would just be a fun little project for me, so when people open it up, they aren't getting their faces melted)

Any thoughtful help on parts, and any insight to this idea on how to make it work is appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Define "makes it very very hot"
What feels hot to your hand may not actually be 'hot'. People have been putting TV's and large stereo pieces in these things for decades.

With an entertainment center, at most you'd need 1 exhaust fan. Those are not really sealed, and there will be enough gap to allow airflow in.
You just need to move air through it, if necessary.

-And most importantly...IS IT WORTH DOING?!
Probably not. It's not as hot as you may think it is.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Very hot...well umm...the cab;e box is hot to the touch and can't keep my hand on it for long. The whole cabinet inside if just suffocating really I mean like, I wouldn't keep my PC in there.
(Again, just a fun idea since it does get quite hot....No air gaps btw, it's...it's pretty closed in...)

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Ya but, its not supposed to be open in the front. Like it is, but only if you're putting in a DVD or moving things around. The wires and clutter make for an awful sight, and even at night the blinking lights don't help.
I'll have to look into the fan on the link, but I wasn't hoping to buy another one, just use the stock fan I have.
"Yeah, sort of hot." Yeah I'll show you sort of hot :p

USAFRet

Titan
I get exactly what you're saying by 'hot'.
But in terms of operation...it isn't actually that 'hot'.

If you feel the need, put a slow RPM exhaust fan in the back. 110v, big diameter.
You just need to move air through that box. Suck it out the back, and new air will come in the front.