G

hi im currently building a new system and i need to know what kind of cooling i need for my processor. First i have the antec sx1040B case with the 400w power supply it also has 4 fans total not including the power supply, MSI kt3 ultra aru motherboard and i am going to be running the athlon XP 2100 processor. Will the fan that comes with the processor in the retail box be effecient enough to cool the chip? if not what are your recommendations?

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
if yur not doing overclocking and with good case cooling, it should be okay, but if u want to OC or just want extra cooling, i would reccommned something from Swiftech.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
four casefans is considerable overkill in my opinion, unless they are very low flow you are going to get considerable noise levels.

Traditional case airflow (which works well) is from front to back.

my overclocked tbird system has only 1 casefan mounted in the rear (in addition to the dual fan enermax PSU) and its cooled quite acceptably. (2000rpm 80mm fan)

an additional front fan or two can be added, ideally, but not necessarily blowing over, around or near the Hard drive enclosure for nice hard disk cooling :)

its easy to test anyway.
turn on the PC, run the cpu at full load, wait till the cpu/mobo/room temp is stable, record your temps. open up the case, disconnect a front fan, close the case and see if there is any change.

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!

G

the antec case that i have is a server case it comes with 4 places to mount 80mm fans 2 in the rear of the case and 2 in the front one of them is in the hard drive bay. Go to www.antec-inc.com to see the case i have.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yikes
what a monster
2 rear casefans should be plenty.

airflow due to the rearcasefans should be heaps for any hard drive cooling... not that 7200rpm drives really need cooling anyway.

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!

G

yes it is a monster! but a well built one it weighs roughly 30 pounds or more alone (case and power supply) i hooked it up today and it runs pretty quite for how many fans i have in it but i bought the case because one thing it was black and two because it has so much freakin room in it and the accessibility with the hard drive cages and the side panel that comes off very easily. I am very happy with it even though its a beast. thanx for your help