[SOLVED] Copied files in Computer B does not show up in Computer A?

Nov 11, 2020
Hi All,
I have a strange problem. This is with two Win 10 computers and a 2.5in SSD

I have an internal (connected directly to the motherboard) 2.5in SSD (1TB) in Computer A with WIN10 nothing else. So it is almost empty. I took it out because I wanted to copy a lot of files from Computer B. So I attached my SSD to Computer B via USB using an external "SATA to USB" adapter. Then I copied all the files (600GB) in a folder that I placed in the Root folder. Noting that the 600GB is more than half of the capacity of the SSD. It went without any problem I even tried to open a few files after the copy from Computer B. It worked well. So I put my SSD back into Computer A and connected it to the motherboard as it was before.

But the folder where I copied all my files (600GB) didn't show up in the root folder. Moreover, the drive seemed to be empty as it was before the whole process. I took it out again and connected it to Computer B again via USB. In computer B the folder still didn't show up but at least it showed that the drive is occupied with something. I copied a few new files as a second attempt and put it back into Computer A again. The symptoms were exactly the same such as now folder in the root directory and no space taken. As an extra, the Windows started struggling to boot and said that it could not sign me into my account.

I have never seen anything like that before. For me, it seems that Computer B using the USB connection somehow damaged the file structure of the SSD that was originally in Computer A. So when I put it back into Computer A, it didn't work. But it did it at the second attempt again. Have you guys experienced something like that before or you know what happened in my case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheeers,
Csaba

Solution
Thanks for your answer CountMike. I have done a few trial investigation whether the files are hidden or there is some issue with the NTFS permissions. But nothing seemed to be the problem. If I copy the files using Computer B via USB and then put it back into Computer A then the files are not there. Noting that a few times with playing the permissions i could manage to have a tiny part of the copy apparent and accessible. However, overall, it still doesn't work. I just assume that is something with Win 10 and SSDs as I have not seen similar issue before with HDDs.
Have you tried this ? https://www.altap.cz/salamander/features/move-copy-files-preserve-ntfs-owners-permissions/
Hi All,
I have a strange problem. This is with two Win 10 computers and a 2.5in SSD

I have an internal (connected directly to the motherboard) 2.5in SSD (1TB) in Computer A with WIN10 nothing else. So it is almost empty. I took it out because I wanted to copy a lot of files from Computer B. So I attached my SSD to Computer B via USB using an external "SATA to USB" adapter. Then I copied all the files (600GB) in a folder that I placed in the Root folder. Noting that the 600GB is more than half of the capacity of the SSD. It went without any problem I even tried to open a few files after the copy from Computer B. It worked well. So I put my SSD back into Computer A and connected it to the motherboard as it was before.

But the folder where I copied all my files (600GB) didn't show up in the root folder. Moreover, the drive seemed to be empty as it was before the whole process. I took it out again and connected it to Computer B again via USB. In computer B the folder still didn't show up but at least it showed that the drive is occupied with something. I copied a few new files as a second attempt and put it back into Computer A again. The symptoms were exactly the same such as now folder in the root directory and no space taken. As an extra, the Windows started struggling to boot and said that it could not sign me into my account.

I have never seen anything like that before. For me, it seems that Computer B using the USB connection somehow damaged the file structure of the SSD that was originally in Computer A. So when I put it back into Computer A, it didn't work. But it did it at the second attempt again. Have you guys experienced something like that before or you know what happened in my case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheeers,
Csaba

It's probably hidden as it is in protected root folder, just unhide all folders

Nov 11, 2020
Thanks for your answer CountMike. I have done a few trial investigation whether the files are hidden or there is some issue with the NTFS permissions. But nothing seemed to be the problem. If I copy the files using Computer B via USB and then put it back into Computer A then the files are not there. Noting that a few times with playing the permissions i could manage to have a tiny part of the copy apparent and accessible. However, overall, it still doesn't work. I just assume that is something with Win 10 and SSDs as I have not seen similar issue before with HDDs.

Have you tried this ? https://www.altap.cz/salamander/features/move-copy-files-preserve-ntfs-owners-permissions/

Solution