[SOLVED] Copied files onto hard drive from one computer, but don't exist on other.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Help!

Dell Inpsiron 15 3575.

First I tested, formatted and set up a 1TB HDD as a second drive via an HDD to DVD caddy addapter so I could have the public folder on it as well as all the personal folders. (That way I could throw a smaller SSD as the main drive with Windows). I made sure all the folders had the right permissions. This has worked well for me on a few other computers.

So I wanted to throw on some 300GB of files from another computer instead of downloading them all. So I turned off the laptop and plugged the drive into my eSata on my desktop and copied the files over to the public folder. They were all there on the desktop as well as any files and folders on there from the laptop

But when I would throw the drive back into the laptop and fire it up I couldn't see the files. I tried turning on hidden files and still didn't see a thing. I could even copy over files with the same name and extension that should be on it and didn't get any errors or anything. It's as if the files weren't copied.

But when I put the drive back onto the desktop the files are there.

Any idea as to why or what I'm doing wrong?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Help!

Dell Inpsiron 15 3575.

First I tested, formatted and set up a 1TB HDD as a second drive via an HDD to DVD caddy addapter so I could have the public folder on it as well as all the personal folders. (That way I could throw a smaller SSD as the main drive with Windows). I made sure all the folders had the right permissions. This has worked well for me on a few other computers.

So I wanted to throw on some 300GB of files from another computer instead of downloading them all. So I turned off the laptop and plugged the drive into my eSata on my desktop and copied the files over to the public folder. They were all there on the desktop as well as any files and folders on there from the laptop

But when I would throw the drive back into the laptop and fire it up I couldn't see the files. I tried turning on hidden files and still didn't see a thing. I could even copy over files with the same name and extension that should be on it and didn't get any errors or anything. It's as if the files weren't copied.

But when I put the drive back onto the desktop the files are there.

Any idea as to why or what I'm doing wrong?
Are either of the devices using encrypted drives? If so, it could be encrypting the files that were copied over.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Are either of the devices using encrypted drives? If so, it could be encrypting the files that were copied over.
The laptop (where the files aren't seen) has a TPM, but I'm not sure if it's encrypting or not, I just threw on a brand new installation of W10 with a USB and moved the folders over. I might try a folder outside of the user folders and see

Or how would I know if it's encrypted or not?

The other computer (with the files I want to transfer over) is much older (first gen Core i7) and has no TPM and I didn't set up any encryption on it or anything.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Turn off fast boot in BIOS and
turn off fast startup in windows.
I did both of those and also turned off the TPM and it worked.

I also put the files in another folder in the main directory instead of in the public folder.

Now I got them on the drive in 10 minutes or so (maybe it was more like 100GB) instead of pain stakingly moving them over in less than 16GB portions.

Thanks a bunch!

@SkyNetRising and @Cj-tech you are awesome! Thanks again!